Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant problem. Need some advice thanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant problem. Need some advice thanks

Have a 2000 cherokee sport. Temp has ran between 210-220 since I got it. Aux fan is constantly on. Ive replaced the hoses, thermostat, radiator, radiator cap and water pump. All stock replacements.
Problem I'm having is when I first got it once I shut off the engine and fans kicked off the water would spray out from the rad cap...EVERYTIME. Since I've replaced everything it hasn't done that but I have to put coolant (lately just water because im spending too much on coolant) literally everytime I drive it. No visible leaking, no milky oil but I can put 3/4 gallon of water in the rad in the morning and the next morning it will take another 3/4 gallon. Where's all the water going??? Also reservoir never needs filled. It has stayed at full line. Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Maybe out the exhaust and something is wacked with no coolant loss in the bottle. The rad cap should allow coolant to exit the bottle and enter the rad as the motor cools (overnight?) Have u replaced the fan clutch?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Haven't replaced the fan clutch. Let it sit and run for about an hour today to see if it was leaking somwhere while running and I didn't see t driving but nothing noticeable
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Ran Evans all day. Temp read between 210-220 like it always then on the way home it was running a little rough. Stopped to pick up my kid and smoke started pouring outta the engine bay. Popped the hood and the smoke was coming up off both sides of the valve cover. Temp read same as above when I got there. After the smoke started coming up I turned the key into the in position to check gauges. Temp read 260 then all the way in the red. Had to get the kid and jeep home which was .5 miles from where I stopped. Engine started but very rough. Misfiring, popping and sputtering. Check engine light flashed about ten times then stayed on solid. After a minute it started running better, still rough like on the way down the mountain but not as bad as when I restarted the engine initially. Temp gauge also dropped back down to 210-220. Drive the .5 miles home and parked it. Let cool off over night and try and figure it out tomorrow...
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Finally got the engine cooled down. Refilled it with water (took two gallons) reset the check engine light. It started right up sputtered for about 10 seconds then idles fine. Drive around the block a few times. Ran fine temp rose to 210 pretty quick. Check engine light didn't return. But when you take off the radiator cap you can smell exhaust through there? Guess ill take it easy until I can get the head looked at
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Time to pull that head...
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you have a 2000, you have the 0331 head which means it's probably cracked, a problem that 00 and 01 jeeps have been plagued with. It commonly cracks between cylinders 3 and 4 if the engine overheats enough. As Belvedere mentioned, time to pull it...
Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by belvedere
Time to pull that head...
Yeah I've never done it before. Hoping next weekend one of the two people I know who have done it will have some time to lend a hand. Or just try it myself and hope it works out haha. Did the ujoints last week myself and had never done them before
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

Get a copy of the FSM and follow the steps. Its a fairly straightforward task with no need for any special tools. Clearwater makes good heads if you decide to get a new one.
How many miles on the rig?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Kalali
Get a copy of the FSM and follow the steps. Its a fairly straightforward task with no need for any special tools. Clearwater makes good heads if you decide to get a new one.
How many miles on the rig?
I think il give it a shot next weekend. It's got 126,000 on it
Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM

Check your freeze plugs, I had a small leak from the plug and my car was overheating every other day
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Freeze plugs are good. Did a lot more research over the past few days. Had minor surgery but have been stuck Latin around so figured I would learn all I could about my problem. Sounds lo me like I have a cracked head . If it was just the head gasket before last weekends over heating its definitely the was now. Found this article https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/00-...erview-118922/ and seems like this is my issue..."If the crack is only between the water jacket and the crankcase, you'll only have the mystery loss of coolant with the engine otherwise running well."
Really didn't want to have to take to a shop and spend that kind of money replacing the head but of I want to keep the jeep sounds like that's what has to be done.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Also hoping it hasn't messed up anything else in the engine requiring me to do a entire engine swap
Old 08-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Well got the head pulled today. You can see where the gasket was blown...right between cylinder 3&4. Can't see any cracks but gonna drop it off at the shop tomorrow and have them test for one and get cleaned up and maybe port and polished while its out.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Verdict is in. Head is cracked. Time to look for a new one

Quick Reply: Coolant problem. Need some advice thanks