Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant and oil leaks, with photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coolant and oil leaks, with photos

So i'm new to using forums, I typically just read through them but I have an odd problem so I'm trying to post and I hope its in the correct place. My XJ, 2000,4.0, A/T seems to be leaking coolant from behind the bottom of the face of the block right behind the front crank balance that has the serpentine on it, its an area where some sort of pan is bolted to the bottom of the block, but it doesn't seem like the oil pan. The oil pan is farther back and quite square and round (Not Transmission pan, I know the difference). Anyway, it seems as if there is of course some sort of gasket that may be bad between the bottom of the block and the pan, there was some coolant blow by on my sway bar/ stabilizers etc above my front axle, however after finishing an oil change(when I noticed the leak) I let the jeep warm up a bit and no coolant was flowing or dripping but I could still see where it appeared to be weeping a bit. I've read water pump and such but I've never had an overheating issue and my jeep actually runs a bit cool. Wondering where the coolant is leaking from and any tips on replacement, I have done some pretty involved work before on VWs just not hoping to replace a water pump in the 20 degree weather. Thanks!

*EDITED* I just looked closer...it looks like its the goddamn oil pan, that thing is huge! It seems to be weeping a bit of oil over the rear of the pan as well, so the seal could be bad all around? still looking for suggestions and tips thanks again!

where the coolant is leaking from

coolant leaking and the blow by

Last edited by A/T:(; 01-02-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A/T:(
So i'm new to using forums, I typically just read through them but I have an odd problem so I'm trying to post and I hope its in the correct place. My XJ, 2000,4.0, A/T seems to be leaking coolant from behind the bottom of the face of the block right behind the front crank balance that has the serpentine on it, its an area where some sort of pan is bolted to the bottom of the block, but it doesn't seem like the oil pan. The oil pan is farther back and quite square and round (Not Transmission pan, I know the difference). Anyway, it seems as if there is of course some sort of gasket that may be bad between the bottom of the block and the pan, there was some coolant blow by on my sway bar/ stabilizers etc above my front axle, however after finishing an oil change(when I noticed the leak) I let the jeep warm up a bit and no coolant was flowing or dripping but I could still see where it appeared to be weeping a bit. I've read water pump and such but I've never had an overheating issue and my jeep actually runs a bit cool. Wondering where the coolant is leaking from and any tips on replacement, I have done some pretty involved work before on VWs just not hoping to replace a water pump in the 20 degree weather. Thanks!

*EDITED* I just looked closer...it looks like its the goddamn oil pan, that thing is huge! It seems to be weeping a bit of oil over the rear of the pan as well, so the seal could be bad all around? still looking for suggestions and tips thanks again!

where the coolant is leaking from

coolant leaking and the blow by
Looks like the W/P gasket is leaking at the bottom, there a bear to keep in place, also check bottom rad hose, clamp may be loose.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Where was the leak coming from

Where was the leak coming from
Old 09-22-2020, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

Leak could be coming from the water pump weep hole. Check that and if so, pump is worn and needs replacing.
The following users liked this post:
Mannymix (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Yup, coolant on the steering = water pump. It's leaking out of the weep hole.