Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant leak from oil pan gasket area

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Coolant leak from oil pan gasket area

Been getting a leak lately and it looks like it's coming form the oil pan gasket area on the driver's side. Drips onto the track bar. Here's a pic of it...
Name:  IMG_4889.jpg
Views: 8114
Size:  89.3 KB

I googled the issue and many people say water pump. I checked that out and it's dry immediately behind the water pump. The coolant is pooling up a few inches or so behind that. The pump is a 1.5 year old Gates one anyway. I checked the hoses and they look dry. Radiator seems to be dry on the bottom too. The coolant and oil aren't mixing, not sure if that helps with the diagnosis. I don't see anything on the passenger side. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

If you've been looking for a while and can't find it clean it up as best you can and get the system pressurized.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Doublecheck the freeze plugs and along the head as best you can.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 PM

I think I will clean it up and then pressure test it. The other thing I have to add is it's an intermittent leak. Sometimes it'll leak enough to go from full to add in the reservoir in 2 days, other times a week. No real rhyme or reason to it that I've noticed. Doesn't leak when sitting for a few days it seems like.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:00 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Agree with the commnent of checking the freeze plugs. I currently have a leaky freeze plug, and my coolant puddle looks very similar to your puddle.

I only leak coolant after the engine has been run to full temp, and then shut off. It does not leak all of the time, so it took me some time to find the offending plug.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:42 PM

I pulled the air filter box out and it's wet under the first freeze plug. Damn it. How many are on that side and should I get all of them on that side replaced?

How urgent is it to fix? Can it be driven most likely without worry for a few weeks or does it need to go into the shop ASAP?