Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coolant leaking from water pump? compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 4wd
Default Coolant leaking from water pump? compatibility

Ok. So i have a old beat up 1987 jeep cherokee laredo 4.0. The other day i got to work and notice smoke rising up from the hood. it was overheating so i got out of the car and a huge stream of antifreeze was running out the bottom. i popped the hood and noticed coolant everywhere. i climbed allover the front of that thing trying to figure where it was coming from but could not. it leaked pretty much all its coolant. i finally traced the leak to the vacinity of the water pump. so i figure the water pump must be shot. it runs gets hot. gets hotter then starts leaking, then leaks worse as it starts to over heat. today i was gonna drive it to my mechanic i put a bunch in, my mechanic is not far away from my house. and the fluid started to leak immediated. Not all of it, but some leaked right away. I started it up, and the Serptine belt slips so much, due to wetness with Antifreeze, that i can hardly turn the wheel, looks like ill need a tow the S belt also feels like it may have gotten lose with wetness or something cant explain it, but its running a little strange. my neighbor has a 98 parts jeep and offered me anything i needed, but he figured the difference in years would make parts incompatible. however if i search at Advance Auto Parts for my jeep i get a list of water pumps. the first one is $37 then the next two at like $195, $207. When i search advance auto parts for a 1998 cherokee water pump, i get the same list of water pumps. So could this parts car my neighbor has that is 10 years newer have a compatibile pump????? and how can the price differ from $37 to $200 by water pump brand on Advance Auto Parts website? all there water pumps listed look slightly different. this is confusing, any quick help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

Last edited by New2Jeeps42; 11-25-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Before you start anything, just check to make sure your hoses are tight and your coolant is good. It can be frustrating trying to find the right water pump. Sounds like yours is going out, so get yourself to the store or wherever you need to go by using water and tightening your serpentine belt. You'll have to replace it anyway since it has been soaked in AF so snug it up until it stops squeaking. Bring some extra water along if you have a long way to go, and don't let it get over 260°F... that's the temp it took to crack my cylinder head gasket. By running some water through your system you're also preparing it for the flush and refill when you're done with the water pump.
The quality of the water pump can jump in price as high as $250, but a standard remanufactured pump specified to your vehicle will work just fine if you clear your radiator and update hoses here and there. You can use the water pump off of your buddy's Jeep if you compare them and it is the same, but keep in mind his may be almost as used as yours. I'd say your last resort should be using his, followed by using a remanufactured one (Napa $29) and best replacing it with a sparkly new one (Napa $42). Also pay attention to the direction of the impeller. Some are opposite drive. Finally, get a new thermostat and/or search "burping your radiator" on the forum to learn about putting a breather hole in the top of the thermostat. So, Napa, AutoZone, Checker, wherever you go, pick up a new thermostat, thermostat gasket, some "Right Stuff" RTV sealant, a water pump, water pump gasket, and some fresh new AF.
The price varies because some are high flow and others have just been remanufactured. A high flow is ideal for systems with a 3-core radiator. If your coolant and radiator are in good shape, though, the basic water pump is your best bet. Coolant has a capacity to carry heat and resist freezing, but those lower and upper temp extremes get closer together if it is fouled by oil or simply needs to be replaced. For a long-term heating solution, consider an electric fan. I have a 1987 as well and it stays right between 190°F and 205°F with a single core radiator, stock pump, and electric pushfan. Good luck (and be prepared to get messy, you'll drip AF all over).
Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

The price changes wether it is remanufactured or new, with or without serpentine belt drive. The lowest price is prolly remanufactured w/o serpentine belt drive.
From the parts catalog the 1987 and the 1998 pumps have different PNs, so they prolly are different.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Pre 91 pumps are the same but past 91 they change twice. Don't let the parts guy fool ya. They have a tendancy to confuse 4.0L with 4 cylinder.