Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default coolant leak

I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 Liter engine in it. Last summer around labor day I replaced the head and the radiator. have had since then an occasional leak in the cooling system. there seems to be no rime or reason for the leak i can drive a few miles and it leaks a lot then after a short time there is no leak and it can stay that way for a few days. temperature seems to have no affect on it. I do monitor the engine temperature closely and it never goes too high stays around 210 degrees. the leak is coming from the radiator area not the reservoir. any thoughts on how to fix this would be appreciated. also AC usually does not work real well I suspect that it is part of the same problem.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Driver side or passenger? Is it an aluminum core with plastic tanks? If so, the tank seal may have sprung a leak. Grab a flashlight and get in there as best you can and have a look. If the leak is on the driver side, check the elbow under the radiator cap as well as the radiator hose and clamp. If the leak is on the passenger side, check the drain and radiator hose and clamp. Check the hose running along the top of the radiator from the elbow next to the cap, too. Guy at work just had the same issue and found a bad tank seal. Radiator wasnt even that old. Not even a full year.

I wouldnt worry about the a/c. The only affect that has on the cooling system is causing it to work a little harder.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driver side and it is aluminum core with plastic tanks. i have looked in the past and it seems to come from both the elbow under the and a plug in the tank but i guess i am wondering if I should look at replacing the whole radiator again or if I should just try to fix what is there.