Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Considering 1991 XJ Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Considering 1991 XJ Purchase

Seller claims blown head gasket but price is right

How buildable is a '91?
4.0L
Want to build it fun - 3-5" lift to play in the desert, but still have it as a daily driver for my son about to drive.
Any special things to know about CA smog regs?

How big a lift and/or fender cut outs to run 33's?
Recommended gear ratio modification so I still have pick-up and "gas mileage" (I realize this things never gonna get great mileage but 15-18 mpg or so would be nice)?

Any insight, experience would be appreciated

Last edited by DIRKEVANS; 03-13-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Didn't Bold Title
Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

First..., Hi and welcome to CF from Tj in NJ. How much is he asking?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Personally I like the older XJ's before all the ODBII and air bags..I have a 91 and I have swapped out the motor and quite a few other things. Very easy to work on and very basic. Still new enough to have some basic sensors so you can get some trouble codes but not new enough to have all the new crap. Plus you can toss on a newer 99 or so intake for some added performance, rear disk brakes, bigger dual diaphragm brake booster for better braking. All sorts of upgrades you can do.

Depending on the mileage and condition I wouldn't pay more then $1500 and that's the top end. I paid $1000 for mine and it's 100% rust free and never been in the rust belt area.

I run an RE 3.5 lift kit which sits at just shy of 4.5" over stock. I run 31's but plan on cutting the fenders and tossing on 33's very soon.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:24 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Hi OKC.. yea I also like the "Older" jeeps.. I wouldn't trade my 94 for a newer one. Simplicity and ease of obtaining parts keep me lovin my 94...Tj
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I just got my 98... about 5 months ago.
It seems parts are readily available, you can always find replacement parts on Craigslist or other sites. It seems some dude has always rooled his, or got rear-ended and is parting it out instead of junking it. Might be easier to get a replacement. Either way, the cherokee's are great. Alot of metal instead of plastic, which would make me comfy with my kid drivin. Especially if you upgrade some bumpers and lift it a little. Nice visibility.
Of course, ANY aftermarket part you want is available.
Really, I'd go on Wikipedia. They have a listing that tells you which years have which upgrades. I got a 98 for the high-pinion, overdrive tranny, and slightly upgraded interior and exterior. Just a matter of preference though. Many people/threads on this site talk about changing the air intake and exhaust to increase the MPG cheap. I just did the exhaust, and it increased an easy 2-3. The Seafoam got me another 1 or 2, and increased the pick up. I'm getting 16-18 city, and 22-24 highway so long as I don't break 75.
All together, with the interior room for camping equipment, I love it.
Good- luck, do your research.
Billy
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a '91 XJ Purchase

Thanks for the responses so far. Good info.
I've been looking at XJ's for awhile and looking forward to finally getting one to play with. A lotta buddies have rigs they take to the desert and one friend and his dad consistently race the Baja 1000 and have won a couple of years in a couple of classes. Can't wait to have my own toy.

Not a lot of info on the listing but asking price on this one is $500 and it says it has a rear locker. Not much other info.

Still curious about any recommended gear ratio swap if running 33's. Also curious about cutting away fenders with bolt on flares to accomodate the 33's. By cutting away are we only cutting away the fender and not into the well itself or is there a part of that which requires cutting the wells and then doing some sheet metal work to seal them back off?