Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Complete loss of power... Tomorrow's Plan of Action. Am I going the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Complete loss of power... Tomorrow's Plan of Action. Am I going the right direction?

99 4 C 6 L Auto 105k miles

The reason I started down this path was that I had to jump my rig to get it to start.... every time. After an hour with a multimeter today, I was able to find and fix a small electrical parasite, but it was very small (rests nicelly at 22 ma..So I brought in my battery... I was initially relieved that my battery had a bad cell.. now 5.5 hours and $260 bones later, here I am.... New battery installed, new starter installed (old one worked but was full of oil, would stick, it was off, so I decided to get a new one), pulled alternator, got it checked, rated good, and re-installed, and starter relay was checked.. after getting her back together today, I open the door, lights are on, everything looks good, try and turn her on, she tries to crank and then BAM! everything dies! no power to anything... not to be beaten, I unhook the battery terminals, and try again in neutral, same outcome (I did this a couple different ways; checked reverse lights in attempt to eliminate NSS)... I try and get smart, go and see if my new battery had a full charge, it did (3rd run to AA). Try and get smarter... Attempt to jump from another car...interestingly, I don't get the power loss when I turn the key. I hear the starter repeatedly attempt to turn. then when I turn the key back to off, I get the power loss.

So, here is my plan... Tomorrow, replace all the battery lines and check the grounds. Anything else I should trouble shoot tomorrow before I really start to worry? Thanks for your thoughts!!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

It sounds like you've got a short to ground somewhere. You're indeed headed the right way, get your multimeter out and start checking for continuity where there shouldn't be any
Old 10-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yep... ground it was

Originally Posted by salad
It sounds like you've got a short to ground somewhere. You're indeed headed the right way, get your multimeter out and start checking for continuity where there shouldn't be any
running like a champ... and leaking like one... Time to open her up.