Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold lower radiator hose, no overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Top hose is hot, lower almost cold to touch, even after an hour long interstate trip. No issues other than this. System was flushed by the shop a while ago. But I suppose I need to check it myself. I think I'll do the heater core while I'm at it, that's not the issues. It's the coolant system itself, obviously I suppose i wanna flush the radiator, so disconnecting the radiator hoses are a yes? As for the rest of the system? A little info would be great. Like do I wanna simply flush it (via rad hose) with garden hose and let it run till its clear? Any need for using compressed air to really help remove blockage? Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by VTJeep; 10-06-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What temp is it running at?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Could be a few things. Radiator plugged. Bad water pump. Bad thermostat. Or any combination of the three.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Since there is no overheat or problem, one would presume if the top hose is hot, the t-stat has opened and if the bottom hose is not so hot, one would presume the rad is flowing coolant, removing heat from the coolant and ambient temp is low. Bottom hose should be cooler than top hose so is there really an issue? For preventative maintenance, "search" will reveal all kinds of ways to flush the heater core, engine block/head and radiator.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

My guess is a clogged radiator
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like djb, I'm not sure what the issue is. If it didn't overheat after an hour on the interstate...
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Haha, preventative maintenance, ay? Well I searched my issue and I couldn't find one that didn't involve an over heating issue as well. So being that I couldn't find my issue after searching (here and google..) I decided to post it. So, my issue/concern is that while exhibiting no problems, why is lower hose cold. I wanna agree that it's a clogged radiator. There never seems to be enough coolant in the overflow tank, but there is a weep from the t stat so I figure that might be why it runs low.

Thanks for the responses fellas

Edit- if it is a clogged rad, can I just flush it?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Since the radiator is the main cooling component, how can a motor with a clogged radiator not overheat?????
Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

...That's what I'm wondering about... Just lookin for input before I do anything. Research
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Top hose is hot, lower almost cold to touch, even after an hour long interstate trip. No issues other than this. System was flushed by the shop a while ago.

How long is a while ago? Was it a Chrysler/Jeep dealership? If not, could the shop have installed one of those "fail safe" type stats? The stat could be stuck "failed" open. Have u verified hose temps and t-stat cover temps with a infrared temp gun? If using the heater while driving on interstate, a lotta heat will be removed from the motor thus the stat can remain mostly closed. By the time a small amount of coolant has passed from one end of the rad to another, it could have been cooled substantially......especially if running the heater due to cool/cold ambient temps.

But I suppose I need to check it myself. I think I'll do the heater core while I'm at it, that's not the issues. It's the coolant system itself, obviously I suppose i wanna flush the radiator, so disconnecting the radiator hoses are a yes?

Who wants to flush a cooling system?......it's one of those things u just gotta git 'er done once in a while. Again, how long is a while ago?.....not that long ago, do a annual/semi-annual flush....if it's been a longer while ago, might want to take preventative maintence further.

As for the rest of the system? A little info would be great. Like do I wanna simply flush it (via rad hose) with garden hose and let it run till its clear?

Again, the least that should be done once in a while is a good flush/re-fill.

Any need for using compressed air to really help remove blockage? Thanks a bunch.
As been said before......devil's in the details......I'm still stumped as to whether a issue exits.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383

As been said before......devil's in the details......I'm still stumped as to whether a issue exits.
A while ago was probably last year. It wasn't a Chrysler shop that worked on it. Never is. I will have to do my part to check with the shop about the t stat and maybe start verifying temps with a gun. I'm a rookie when it comes to the heating stuff. So I know I'm doing little to alleviate confusion. I (***)umed that fault was with the radiator, but I probably misspoke and started things down the wrong road..
I can't remember the tstat ever being changed, but it's been too long and there have been too many new parts in between to recall specifically. Like I said, there is that small weep from bottom of tstat.. Maybe a sign to tear it off and check it, or at least verify with gun.
You mentioned "taking the preventative maintenance a step farther." If you wanna expand on that I'm all ears, man! My roommate classily said "IT'S YOUR HEAD GASKET!" But that just sounds like your typical Subaru owner..
Also, thanks!! I really appreciate the help!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Quick update: Was told that if you take your rad cap off and start vehicle, if there is a bad head gasket, fluid will shoot out. I did this test and no fluid came out at all. (It's topped off..) I know the picture attached is totally ****ed, but that is my overflow tank the coolant is pretty much brown.. So yeah, flush time.. Ok, both pics suck.. Damn double..
Attached Thumbnails Cold lower radiator hose, no overheating.-image-3653787960.jpg   Cold lower radiator hose, no overheating.-image-2633600020.jpg  

Last edited by VTJeep; 10-08-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Did the shop flush it about a year ago.......or 10 years ago? LOL, just kidding......but that doesn't look good at all. Time to both fix the leak and do some serious flushing/cooling system maintenance. How old r cooling system components? What's inside the bottle should look just as clean/green as fresh coolant in the rad.
Attached Thumbnails Cold lower radiator hose, no overheating.-005-2-.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
Did the shop flush it about a year ago.......or 10 years ago? LOL, just kidding......but that doesn't look good at all. Time to both fix the leak and do some serious flushing/cooling system maintenance. How old r cooling system components? What's inside the bottle should look just as clean/green as fresh coolant in the rad.
See, the fluid is about that clean at the radiator as your pic. The overflow was empty a week ago, so I topped it off with some 50/50 and now it's gone dark in the overflow. Don't worry about giving me crap about neglecting my XJ. Clearly I have managed to overlook this.. Sad too, considering how much time I spend under the hood.
As for the age of components, I gotta look through my records and see if I can find anything tstat related, but I'm gonna guess it was 2-3 years ago if at all. The last flush was this time last year, by the boys at the shop, these guys are pretty good- a 3 man crew that have a good collection of knowledge. About the only mechanics I know who don't drink on the job. (Hell of a standard..) either way, they flushed my system, got it running clean. Radiators age is unknown..
Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Usually, what's in the bottle is the same as what's in the rad, since the bottle is connected to the rad. What's in that bottle looks nasty.

Quick Reply: Cold lower radiator hose, no overheating.