Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coil Spring Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Question Coil Spring Removal Question

Trying to remove/ install new coils on my 2000 XJ. and can't quite squeeze in the new ones. The shock and sway bar link is out of the side i am working on and I'll take them off the other side - not sure if that will do anything or not - but I was wondering if letting the axle hang on the control arms will damage the front drive shaft, or if I should remove it?
Thanks for any tips or guidance!
Terry
Old 12-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L

It should be ok. I haven't removed mine but from what I understand you have to let it go to full droop of the suspension to be able to swap them.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jedijeb
It should be ok. I haven't removed mine but from what I understand you have to let it go to full droop of the suspension to be able to swap them.
Thanks Jedijeb - I'll go give it a shot!

Terry
Old 12-09-2017, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If you don't have a coil spring compressor then taking the lower control arm and swaybar link loose is the only way to do it, depending on how tall springs you are putting in. The front driveshaft will be fine, no need to remove it.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Yes, the links need to be unhooked. This might be an indication you need a different set of bottom links that have an offset on the axle side joint
Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Originally Posted by TDuff
Trying to remove/ install new coils on my 2000 XJ. and can't quite squeeze in the new ones. The shock and sway bar link is out of the side i am working on and I'll take them off the other side - not sure if that will do anything or not - but I was wondering if letting the axle hang on the control arms will damage the front drive shaft, or if I should remove it?
Thanks for any tips or guidance!
Terry
You don't say what length coils your installing. I just installed Moog CC782's w/3/4" spacers. Disconnected shocks and sway bar links on both sides. Axle housing was at full droop. By using a bottle jack at outside of the back of the spring seat up to the "frame" I got the last bit of clearance I needed. Didn't take much. Didn't use spring compressors. And didn't need to disconnect the track bar or LCAs.

Forgot to include that I used a plastic splitting wedge against the frame to give the top of the jack a place to seat flat.

Last edited by EZEARL; 12-10-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
You don't say what length coils your installing. I just installed Moog CC782's w/3/4" spacers. Disconnected shocks and sway bar links on both sides. Axle housing was at full droop. By using a bottle jack at outside of the back of the spring seat up to the "frame" I got the last bit of clearance I needed. Didn't take much. Didn't use spring compressors. And didn't need to disconnect the track bar or LCAs.

Forgot to include that I used a plastic splitting wedge against the frame to give the top of the jack a place to seat flat.
Completed the job yesterday - same Moog springs, but no spacers. I can't believe you were able to install those without spring compressors! My hat is off to you! I removed shocks and sway bar links, used coil compressors, and used a 2x4 over the disc and under the "frame" to push the axle down which gave me the clearance needed. Not a pretty job for one person.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Terry
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Stock size springs should be fine with full droop. But when I installed new springs for a 3" lift kit, I had to rent a spring compressor to get them in. Most auto part stores rent them for free and are simple enough to use. Just make sure to be careful when compressing the springs as they are under a lot of pressure.