Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

code 11 ckps after socket drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92,93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation code 11 ckps after socket drop

Ive been reading some of the posts for a while and trying to stay encouraged about my 92 cherokee 4wd. I dont know too much, but im at my wits end. Oh yeah, lol, Im new here! My Jeep just died about 4 years ago. My ex changed about all the sensors and put in a different used distributor. No go, so he quit working on it and well...there she sat. I finally read somewhere that there are alignment holes on the bottom housingof the distributor. Set timing and distributor correctly and "PRRRRRR" like new. down the highway, all good. Turn it off, come back turn it on and same ole crap...crank, no start. Wait an hour or two, strts up...goes, then cuts, spits sputters. New plugs and wires, cap n rotor. Ran the best ever...Then the same cut spit sputter. Code it was throwing was 11. So i thought to change crank posn sensor...got it all together and THE SOCKET FELL DOWN INTO THE BELL HOUSING! I talked to car parts store guy and he said it should go on around if i bump the key...UH, NO...IT JAMMED . Couldnt turn engine from harmonic balancer bolt or by teeth on flywheel. When i asked for help all i got was, "thats a lot of work for a socket"----Totally hacked at myself, i did get someone to drag it home. I ended up loosening all the bolts around the tranny to pry it back a little, removing the starter and rocking the crankshaft until i could see the evil socket...and the damage---it left a slight groove on part of the flat ring on the backside of the flywheel where the cranksensor reads signal....I get code 11 again, and thats all. it wont start at all, cranks slow so all this to ask: is there hope? 1) Can the sensor still read if that ring is still smooth but with a little groove on part of it? Im going to get another $70 sensor, 2) im wondering if when i was turning the crank back and forth could the timing belt have slipped? does it have a belt or chain? 3) Could the fuel pump cause the 'no re-start' condition (hoping i get to that point again, good grief) if its going out? i can hear it prime but not convinced it maintains pressure. I really do miss my Jeep!!! Sorry this is so lengthy, im trying to be thorough. I hope someone can help!!....thanks!