Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clutches are dumb! so am i! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default clutches are dumb! so am i! please help!

ok, so i have had some trouble with my 91 xj getting air into the hydro system of the clutch since i bought it. first, i replaced the slave cylinder (internal slave) with an auto zone one. still taking in air, so i replaced the master cylinder. still taking in air. all that's left to replace is the clutch line itself but the problem i'm running into with that is no auto parts stores in my area sell the line. soooo, i call a dealership and they tell me the only way i can get a clutch line is to buy another slave cylinder, as they are only sold together as a kit! well, obviously i'm not too keen on paying $234 for a slave cylinder i don't need just for the clutch line.

my first question is, should i be looking at anything else besides the clutch line as the source of the problem? there is no fluid leaking out anywhere that i can see, so i can't figure out how the air could be getting in, but it definitely is because i have to bleed the bastard every other day just to get to work and back.

second question is, does anyone know where i can find a new replacement clutch line without having to buy the slave cylinder too? i hate to give all that money to the stealership for a slave cylinder i don't need just to get the line. any info would be GREATLY appreciated, for i'm about to the point of flipping out on my poor xj! thanks!

troy
Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM

bumpity bump!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 PM

ttt!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default clutch slave line

If you remove the line or hose you should be able to het one made at some of the good old timey auto patrts stores or be able to convert some thing to work but you need to find a counter man with half a brain! hard to find these daysLOL ot may be a brake hose can be adapted try a sped shop those guys are gear heads good luck Just keep bleeding it fluid is inexpencive if by your self get a one man brake bleeder about $3 bucks they work great good luck
Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

i have the same problem i have to pump my pedal & fill the damn reservior every freaking day
Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by dabeast727
i have the same problem i have to pump my pedal & fill the damn reservior every freaking day
is yours leaking fluid? mine is'nt which is why i'm so baffled because i would assume that if air is getting in, fluid should be coming out, but i can't find any leaks at all.

moses, i thought about getting a new line made but the stock line has a plastic push lock thingy on the end where it connects to the slave cylinder. without that connector piece a home made line is useless and i don't think the piece on the stock line is removable...
Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

That piece is probably a quick connect and they are available through NAPA if you can find a good parts guy there. The steel line is what the FSM describes as what you have. And for your clutch master cylinder to be needing fluid that often means it is going someplace. I hate to say that it is possible you got a defective slave cylinder from AZ.
The NAPA guy can help you with a steel line to replace the OEM one if need be. HTH I avoided this thread b/c I have no clutch and know nothing about them. I called my friend at NAPA and he told me that NAPA has the parts needed to replace whatever is leaking and to make the line from Master to Slave.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
That piece is probably a quick connect and they are available through NAPA if you can find a good parts guy there. The steel line is what the FSM describes as what you have. And for your clutch master cylinder to be needing fluid that often means it is going someplace. I hate to say that it is possible you got a defective slave cylinder from AZ.
The NAPA guy can help you with a steel line to replace the OEM one if need be. HTH I avoided this thread b/c I have no clutch and know nothing about them. I called my friend at NAPA and he told me that NAPA has the parts needed to replace whatever is leaking and to make the line from Master to Slave.
thanks for the info blue! i am worried it is a junk slave as well but will try the line first since my slave is internal...funny thing is, i'm not really losing any fluid, just getting air back in somehow. after i bleed it, it works awesome for about 20 miles or so, then i slowly lose clutch pedal pressure until eventually i have to bleed it and start over again, but when i go to bleed again, the master is still pretty much full... i'm headed to napa now, i'll keep you posted! thanks again!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Thats what we do on CF try to help each other.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Are you sure your getting all the air out? I had the same problem on my cuz 92xj, it would works fine after I blead it out and drive it around and it would lose pressure.. Had new clutch,slave and master only thing that's wasn't replaced was the lines. After messing and fighting with it, I asked one of my techs at work and he told me that the one way to really blead them good is with the mightyvac. But you can do it another way, it just take a little bit of muscle to do it. What you do is fill up the res, pull your master off and stand the master straight up and use your fender side to push the plunger in. Have someone at the bleeder open it up as you are pushing it down. I know it sound different but it works. For some reason when you manually blead it its gets a air pocket at the top of the line right where it connect at the master since its the high point and when you have it straight up the master is now the high point so the air goes there and the line is fluid.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

Originally Posted by hbracingqe
Are you sure your getting all the air out? I had the same problem on my cuz 92xj, it would works fine after I blead it out and drive it around and it would lose pressure.. Had new clutch,slave and master only thing that's wasn't replaced was the lines. After messing and fighting with it, I asked one of my techs at work and he told me that the one way to really blead them good is with the mightyvac. But you can do it another way, it just take a little bit of muscle to do it. What you do is fill up the res, pull your master off and stand the master straight up and use your fender side to push the plunger in. Have someone at the bleeder open it up as you are pushing it down. I know it sound different but it works. For some reason when you manually blead it its gets a air pocket at the top of the line right where it connect at the master since its the high point and when you have it straight up the master is now the high point so the air goes there and the line is fluid.
I have been having the same problem with my jeep, new hose, 2 new master cylinders, and a new slave and I still have air in the system. I'm going to try this ^ and see if it works! Good info thanks man.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by goneboating06
I have been having the same problem with my jeep, new hose, 2 new master cylinders, and a new slave and I still have air in the system. I'm going to try this ^ and see if it works! Good info thanks man.
No problem man if you have any problems let me know