Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Clutch question

I have a '91 XJ with the 4.0L engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. When I shift into gears, it seems a little "notchy". When I'm driving at normal speeds, the shifting is smooth, no slippage, etc. But when I'm in stop and go traffic, I have to almost "pop" it into first with my foot all the way to the floor. If I'm rolling, it goes in easier with my foot travelling less distance to the floor.

The Jeep is new to me, so I don't know the clutch history. Does it need to be bled? The fluid reservoir is full, but the fluid is pretty dark brown.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 - 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Try bleeding if first. It takes two people to do it right. If bleeding does not fix it then you may need to replace some components. The slave cylinder is a pain to replace. You have to remove the transmission to replace it. Try the master cylinder second if bleeding does not fix it.

I think my master is going out. It is not losing any fluid, but if I hold the clutch in while runnning in gear, it will start to go down the road. Getting it into gear is a pain sometimes unless I pump it. Driving down the road is fine. Someone at work suggested that the master cylinder could be leaking internally. It is getting worse day by day.

I hope someone else chimes in with a suggestion. If you figure it out, please post what it was. Good luck!

David