Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clunking/Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking/Rattle

hey everyone!! New member here with a couple questions. Bought my 99 cherokee auto 4x4 four years ago with 111,000 miles. There is a clunking noise on acceleration when i first take on from a stop, and it doesn't do it all the time. Also when coming to a stop it will clunk when i am almost stopped and sometimes its delayed until i have stopped for about a second, again doesn't happen all the time. Consequently, sometimes at a stop light after the clunk, i hear a rattle coming from the transmission, and thats only at a stop and only in drive. I have 155,000 miles on it now and the clunking/rattling have not gotten any worse, stayed the same. Driveability and power have not been compromised. Last question is oil gage says im at 80 psi all the time now. Some times while driving on the highway the gage will drop back to the normal operating range, but will eventually go back to 80psi. Thanks in advance, i know you guys probably hears these questions a lot. I belong to another forum for my other car witch is a 2006 Pontiac GTO and see lots of repeat questions too
Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

for your PSI gage its the sending unit that needs to be replaced or a loose connection. take your gauge cluster apart and check all of your oil PSI wires.

for the clunk where is the clunk coming from? where does it sound like its coming from?

-Kyle
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the tranny. Like i said the you will hear the clunk when coming to a stop, and then you will hear the rattle in the tranny. I was reading up on some other posts and found something about a small crack in the fly wheel that makes some noise, not sure if its the same rattle though.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

i had a clunk when stopping and accelerating. The rear driveshaft splines needed lubed.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

X2, since you have a 99 you have an external output shaft from your TCase, take your rear DS off and apply some grease to it and give that a shot.

-Kyle
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

Be careful about that oil pressure thing, might not need replacing. If the 2 wires on it touch they instantly spring it to the max oil pressure reading, i did that before when my oil pressure sensor broke on my ZJ, jsut twisted the posotive and negative together or whatever and it stopped making annoynig "low oil pressure" noises