Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clunking/Popping Noise in front suspension - 1998 XJ Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Exclamation Clunking/Popping Noise in front suspension - 1998 XJ Sport

Hi Guys,

Im new here, just purchased my Jeep back in April. Its a 1998 Cherokee (XJ) with roughly 130,000 miles.

I've been having an issue with my truck since ive gotten it.

When the wheel it turned at least have the way and i am moving at a low speed, there is a loud pop/clunk noise which comes from the front wheels.
Examples of when it happens: Reversing/turning to get out of a parralel spot, going over any bumps slowly, with the wheel turned at all (turning into the driveway). im sorry if im not describing it too well, but i cant think of any other way to describe it. I will try to record the sound, and leave a link to it soon.

Additional info - I have death wobble and have been told by numerous people that all i need is new front tires and an alignment (which is true because my front tires have uneven wear (already like that when they were put on used) and i can tell by the steering and drifting that i need an alignment, but i was wondering if this wobble and this clunking could in any way be connected.

Any input is helpful guys. Unfortunately i am limited to rock auto parts and my own/ & friends car repair skills, so a mechanic visit is out of the question for now (Im BROKE !)