Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clock spring broken after gearbox change

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry clock spring broken after gearbox change

good afternoon everyone, I just have a "mechanic" changed out my 2001 jeep Cherokee gearbox because my steering wheel was tight to one side and looser to the other. once he was done changing it I immediately noticed the airbag light on and the horn wasn't working.. I'm assuming its the clock spring damaged since its the only thing that can make both failures happen at the same time. can it be my clock spring??? am I missing something.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:40 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

What does your mechanic have to say about that?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:56 PM

That he didnt move the steering wheel during the gearboz exchange..so theres no reason for it to fail
Old 10-02-2018, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Unless they were watching the steering wheel the entire time, it is possible it rotated while they were removing and/or replacing the steering box. Failure to lock the steering wheel before the disconnecting the steering shaft is bad because the clockspring must remain centered. The clockspring is a spool of wire that winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel. There is enough wire to turn the wheel lock to lock, plus a little extra, but not much. Maybe enough for another 1/4 to 1/2 turn? Turn the wheel too far left or too far right while the steering shaft is disconnected and the wires will wind or unwind too far left or right, are pulled tight, and tear. However, they can tear on thier own over time, without ever touching the steering gear. With that said, it could be a coincidence the airbag light came on and the horn stopped working, or the clockspring was turned too far while they were messing with the steering box, and simply didnt notice. Some dont take the clockspring into consideration when messing with the steering.

You can test the horns by jumping them directly to the battery to make sure they are still working. If they do, id say you need a new clockspring. You can test that if you like before replacing it. Disconnect the battery first and wait a couple minutes to let any residual power bleed off (i wait 30 minutes, just because). Remove the airbag to get to the clockspring connector. Find and disconnect the clockspring connector on the other side. Check the wiring for continuity. If you have none on any of them, replace the clockspring. There are two styles. One with cruise, and one without. If you dont have cruise, you can use either one. Center the steering wheel before pulling the clockspring, and make sure it stays centered. I believe the clockspring is keyed to the shaft so just line it up and push it on. Only then should you remove the lock. That keeps the clockspring from unwinding during installation.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 10-02-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:08 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Yea that sounds like a shady mechanic. when we replace steering shafts an stuff we usually buckle the seat belt through the wheel so it cant turn while we work. Its an honest mistake, If he'd admit to it.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I always run a bungee cord from steering wheel to brake petal before unhooking any steering shaft just for this reason. go ahead and ask me why.....ive been there and broke that lol !!!
Old 10-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Years ago when clocksprings weren't used, the way to center a new box was to turn it lock-to-lock counting the turns, then coming back 1/2 way and installing the pitman arm. I'll bet that's exactly what he did instead of centering it before mounting it.