Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Climate control/fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Climate control/fan switch

Ok guys a question. My climate control fan switch had a "catch" in it for a while between speeds 3 and 4. This morning it finally broke loose and seems to be stuck on low speed. I havent torn into it yet, (in the morning) but im pretty sure the rocker switch is broke. Has anyone run into this? and what was the outcome? Im figuring on hitting the jy to find a replacement, but im wondering if i need the whole in dash climate control unit or if the switch is seperate?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

The switch is held in by 2 screws on the back side,once you remove the climate control. If you have junk yard close by that would be a good place to get one.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I would just get a new one from Jeep. These switches are known to be short lived anyway.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Thats what im wondering.. Im fixing to tear into it now to check things out and ill call up the ol stealership on Mon. to get a price. I know where there are a few parts jeeps and jy's around here. Ill let you guys know what i ended up with on price/selection.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM

Well i got the switch replaced without too much trouble. The worst problem over a weekend is finding one. I called Oreilly's, AZ, Napa, and finally Advance. The only one that had it was Advance and they got it in the next day. It is the same part as original, Borg-Warner, and bolts up easily. Here's the steps.

1. Remove dash bezel

2. remove 4 screws securing climate control housing being careful to not break the screw tabs. (yep i broke one of them)

3. pull forward switch housing and disconnect fan switch pigtail. *note: in my case the switch terminals had broken loose from from the copper rivets that hold them in place and had severely melted the pigtail insulation. High load and heat buildup was causing what i originally thought was an exhaust leak coming through the a/c vents but was in fact melting terminal plastic, which was a happy find as it cured the smell.)

4. remove two 1/4 in. hex screws holding switch in place, being careful to catch switch roller **** that is housed inside of the switch frame. (note: my roller **** happened to have a broken tab on one side caused by the burnt up switch having a "catch" in it. Luckily the jeep engineers made a double sided tab that you can flip over and use the other side )

5. place roller **** into new switch and reattach with two screws. Watch the torque you place on these two screws as they have a fast thread and will strip out if you put too much torque on them when tightening.

6. At this point you need to check the condition of the wiring pigtail and replace as necessary. Mine was half melted away and and was repaired using high temp. connectors and matching up wire colors with the proper terminals. (note: on my 94 country you will have one unused terminal on the switch marked AC. I do not know what this is used for and did not check voltage on it when making the test run.)

7. replace climate control unit into dash, fasten and test run/replace bezel in the order you wish.

Hope this helps a few of you guys. My mechanic buddy told me he has replaced several of these switches and that almost all of them fail due to the terminals loosening up and burning up the pigtail. I remember a post a while back about one of you guys having a sweet smell coming from the dash almost like coolant or exhaust (which is what i thought) and happily this turned out to be the melting plastic that i replaced/fixed. Anyone that has their dash bezel out should check the pigtail for signs of melting as it seems this is a common problem.

Total cost: fan switch - 26.98
high temp 12 ga. connectors - 4.98

Have a good one!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM

I'm just having the exact same problem. THANKS! Glad the fan switch is available aftermarket separately.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by littleblueman
Well i got the switch replaced without too much trouble. The worst problem over a weekend is finding one. I called Oreilly's, AZ, Napa, and finally Advance. The only one that had it was Advance and they got it in the next day. It is the same part as original, Borg-Warner, and bolts up easily. Here's the steps.

1. Remove dash bezel

2. remove 4 screws securing climate control housing being careful to not break the screw tabs. (yep i broke one of them)

3. pull forward switch housing and disconnect fan switch pigtail. *note: in my case the switch terminals had broken loose from from the copper rivets that hold them in place and had severely melted the pigtail insulation. High load and heat buildup was causing what i originally thought was an exhaust leak coming through the a/c vents but was in fact melting terminal plastic, which was a happy find as it cured the smell.)

4. remove two 1/4 in. hex screws holding switch in place, being careful to catch switch roller **** that is housed inside of the switch frame. (note: my roller **** happened to have a broken tab on one side caused by the burnt up switch having a "catch" in it. Luckily the jeep engineers made a double sided tab that you can flip over and use the other side )

5. place roller **** into new switch and reattach with two screws. Watch the torque you place on these two screws as they have a fast thread and will strip out if you put too much torque on them when tightening.

6. At this point you need to check the condition of the wiring pigtail and replace as necessary. Mine was half melted away and and was repaired using high temp. connectors and matching up wire colors with the proper terminals. (note: on my 94 country you will have one unused terminal on the switch marked AC. I do not know what this is used for and did not check voltage on it when making the test run.)

7. replace climate control unit into dash, fasten and test run/replace bezel in the order you wish.

Hope this helps a few of you guys. My mechanic buddy told me he has replaced several of these switches and that almost all of them fail due to the terminals loosening up and burning up the pigtail. I remember a post a while back about one of you guys having a sweet smell coming from the dash almost like coolant or exhaust (which is what i thought) and happily this turned out to be the melting plastic that i replaced/fixed. Anyone that has their dash bezel out should check the pigtail for signs of melting as it seems this is a common problem.

Total cost: fan switch - 26.98
high temp 12 ga. connectors - 4.98

Have a good one!
Hey whats the part number for that switch?