Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clicking noises in front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, 6cyl
Default clicking noises in front end

heres the delio. my buddy had bad front u-joints and bad hubs on his 98 xj classic. he mentioned that he hears a noise when braking. so i figured it might be the ujoint. so i replaced both ujoints, and both hub assemblys. still the noise exists. i decided id do some little test to see if i hear it any other way. here is what i got.
1-still clicks when im braking at any speeds
2-it clicks when im in reverse going fairly fast(the nose dives some wen reversing)
3-if i have the wheel hard locked in a turn i hear the ticking also. (but not as much)

any ideas. let me know thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

My first instinct when i first read your reply was the U joints based on your symptoms. The clicking noise is always u joints in my exper cuz i had run into that a few times. However since you said you replace the u joints I'm not sure what else it could be. I know I had a bad upper ball joint on my last cherokee and it didn't make any noise at all so I didn't even know it was bad until the guy at the inspection station told me it was.

Maybe bad calipers in the front brakes? I dont know if that would n=make a clicking noise though.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Go through ur brakes good.I have a friend with a lift so we put itup and u can get a much better picture of what is wrong with 4 eyes and 2 prybars hitting and checking everything. Much easier than laying on ur back.

U can take it to a front end shop and let them look at it-Take that info and do the work yourself. The check is usuallyfree.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by crystalion
Go through ur brakes good.I have a friend with a lift so we put itup and u can get a much better picture of what is wrong with 4 eyes and 2 prybars hitting and checking everything. Much easier than laying on ur back.

U can take it to a front end shop and let them look at it-Take that info and do the work yourself. The check is usuallyfree.
i work at a shop and had other mechanics look at it also lol and i have a lift at my house that i did all this work on. wich makes things allot easier lol. but yea im going to do soem research adn hope i find something
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

halp! anyone
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the front calipers and pads and look to see how bad of a groove the pads dug in to the bracket. It's common for this to happen. I had the same issue, took a round file and got rid of the edge. Clean them with a wire brush and a small spot of brake lube and noise was gone. Try it. It doesn't cost much.