Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Choke issues? Smells super rich.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre
Default Choke issues? Smells super rich.

I'm getting terrible gas mileage in my 89 4.0 auto. exhaust smells really gassy and sometimes when letting off the gas for a stop RPMs drop so low my lights dim. Came real close to dyin a couple times. Someone told me the choke needed adjustment. I'm a bit of a newbie to the mechanical aspect of a jeep, I'm used to old fords

Any ideas?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum......No choke on the 4.0 but you do have a MAP sensor on the firewall dead center, check the vac line going to it and that it's hooked up. The vac line CANNOT leak. The TPS can cause similar symptoms, but it sounds like your MAP.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by highmileage
Welcome to the forum......No choke on the 4.0 but you do have a MAP sensor on the firewall dead center, check the vac line going to it and that it's hooked up. The vac line CANNOT leak. The TPS can cause similar symptoms, but it sounds like your MAP.
All the vac lines are hooked up right, I've been having more frequent problems with it stalling out when I let off the gas at intersections and such. Also theres a big black spot of soot on the pavement where my exhaust hits just from starting it in the morning.

I drive almost 45 miles round trip to work everyday and am on a serious budget.
If its not the MAP sensor what else could it be?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I would check fuel pressure on the scrader valve before buying any expensive sensors. Thought I had a MAP or TPS issue and ended up being a bad fuel pump.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by buddyantunez1
I would check fuel pressure on the scrader valve before buying any expensive sensors. Thought I had a MAP or TPS issue and ended up being a bad fuel pump.
With a bad fuel pump did you experience the same issues I have? Gassy exhaust, temporary loss of power while driving, stalling at stops and bad gas mileage?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by LittleFoot89
With a bad fuel pump did you experience the same issues I have? Gassy exhaust, temporary loss of power while driving, stalling at stops and bad gas mileage?
Yepp, i also had to prime the ignition sometimes for it to start. It would suddenly lose power in the trails or on the street and lurch. It's a quick test to make sure your fuel system is or isnt the problem.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM

Went to re check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor the other day just to be safe, ended up severing the line clean just with a little pressure to disconnect it. I went and got a small piece of rubber tubing to replace that section and the things been running great the last few days. Sounds and feels smoother and hasn't lagged or lurched at all. Mileage is lookin way better too

Lets hope all it needed was that 53 cent fix
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by LittleFoot89
Went to re check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor the other day just to be safe, ended up severing the line clean just with a little pressure to disconnect it. I went and got a small piece of rubber tubing to replace that section and the things been running great the last few days. Sounds and feels smoother and hasn't lagged or lurched at all. Mileage is lookin way better too

Lets hope all it needed was that 53 cent fix
Isn't that what was suggested in Post #2? Simple fixes are the best. Congratulations.