Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee wont start sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default cherokee wont start sometimes?

for the past month, month and a half the jeep will randomly not start. when i turn the key all the electronics work like the lights, radio, etc. but when i go to start the jeep nothing happens. no turning over, no movement, no noise, no nothing. the weird part is if i wait like a minute and try to start it again it will start right up like nothings wrong. ive already replaced my battery terminals thinking maybe those have gone bad but it is still happeneing. i just got back from the auto store where they tested the battery and the starter and here are the results:
570 CCA from the battery
10.97V and 0 amps from starter.
start time 1.6 seconds

any ideas of what the problem could be? im thinking the cable from the battery to the starter must be bad.

thanks,
joma
Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

What about ignition switch itself?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM

it doesnt seem like its spark fuel or compression
but id still check those before i started dropping money on things.
just to start with the basics.

after that id try and hook a multi meter to the battery and the coil, WHEN ITS NOT STARTING. and see what it says..
if your turning the key to start position and its not providing power to your coil, well then theres your problem.. or at least a problem..

^^^that would also test your ignition switch.

Curious to find out what the problem was.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

It could be your neutral safety switch. They are known to be problematic. Next time it doesn't start, try neutral instead of parl position or move the gear shift around and try it again.

The switch can be disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled if you are so inclined.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by wildbill1
It could be your neutral safety switch. They are known to be problematic. Next time it doesn't start, try neutral instead of parl position or move the gear shift around and try it again.

The switch can be disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled if you are so inclined.

ive already made sure it wasnt the NSS. everytime it doesnt start i try it in neatral and still no start. i also just recently put the NSS on like 2 months ago
Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I do see you changed the NSS, still it does have an adjustment that could somehow be off. If you hold the key over on start, and juggle the shifter in both park and neutral just maybe.....that's easy enough anyway. Do the reverse lights work?

Checking for power at the small solenoid terminal on the starter when you have the key turned would be about next...but with no click whatsoever that's doubtful, you should at least hear the relay click.

I believe the relay get's powered up by the ign switch being turned. If the NSS is grounding it, it will then close contacts which connect battery power directly to the solenoid wire to the starter. So the relay gets power from two different places. Allot of diagnosing can be done at the relay socket. (or terminals on the earlier)

It might be...on the relay socket, of the two close parallel blades, the one near the edge is the one to the solenoid. The one perpindicular to, and opposite of it is the one powered by a fusible link.

Then left and right, one is the switched power from the ign, and the other is grounded by the NSS.
The 87a terminal in the middle might not be used here, at least for starting.