Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Won't Start - Alarm Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee Won't Start - Alarm Issue!

Hi,

During a recent year tour around Australia we purchased and used a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Limited. It is a phenomenal vehicle and in over 35,000km of all sorts of driving, not one thing went wrong.

Sadly we didn't sell it in time and my cousin is trying to sell it for me in Oz. However, he somehow made the mistake of trying to start it with the alarm still engaged.

Now the alarm keeps going off every 10 seconds and the Jeep is immobilized. My cousin has tried checking the wiring, using the fob to deactivate the alarm, and also tried to reset it using the lock/unlock process on all of the doors. It's stuck on his drive and he has to disconnect the battery to stop the alarm going off.

Before he resorts to calling an auto electrician round to fix the issue, can anyone recommend a way to get the alarm back to normal mode?

Thanks,
Antony.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee

Turn key likr to start and hold button down for 5 sec, Button is on inside by door hinge. It should turn it off.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Ahayes
Hi,

During a recent year tour around Australia we purchased and used a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Limited. It is a phenomenal vehicle and in over 35,000km of all sorts of driving, not one thing went wrong.

Sadly we didn't sell it in time and my cousin is trying to sell it for me in Oz. However, he somehow made the mistake of trying to start it with the alarm still engaged.

Now the alarm keeps going off every 10 seconds and the Jeep is immobilized. My cousin has tried checking the wiring, using the fob to deactivate the alarm, and also tried to reset it using the lock/unlock process on all of the doors. It's stuck on his drive and he has to disconnect the battery to stop the alarm going off.

Before he resorts to calling an auto electrician round to fix the issue, can anyone recommend a way to get the alarm back to normal mode?

Thanks,
Antony.
Depends on what kind of alarm it is.

Most factory alarms are disarmed by putting the key in the drivers door and unlocking the door.

If it's aftermarket just take the dang thing out and be done with it.