Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Theft

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cherokee Theft

Over the past couple years both my brothers Jeep and mine have been broken into and/or attempted to be stolen. We've had to chase guys away at night quite few times now and its getting frustrating. I have way too much money and time invested in my Jeep and I dont want to lose it

I can't afford to get an alarm installed so all I have is a steering wheel club. Is there anything I can posssibly do to prevent my jeep from being stolen and/or started?? Cut ignition or fuel pressure??

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Tou can put a hidden switch to cut the power to the fuel pump or a cut off switch to the ignition. That would be the easiest thing to do.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991

the steering wheel club is a joke...put it on your lawnmower ...the one that goes to the foot pedal is MUCH stronger and better. The Truck club is what its called ...the steering wheel club can be defeated in a few seconds...the brake pedal model takes a LONG time as you have to either cut the brake pedal which is heat treated or hammer the snot out of it which will act as its own burgler alarm with all the noise...I have the foot one on ALL my stuff that sits outside...sure they may break in and steal my fine oem radio lol but at least my junk is still in the driveway. with the brake pedal locked you cant get an auto into gear nor stop if it is started..if you have a stick put it on the clutch as they can start a manual xj and drive it with the emergency brake thus putting on the clutch

Cameron

on edit if you get the truck club pull it so tight that it wont move around and it is nearly impossible to remove without a key

Last edited by ck1; 08-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

To be honest with you. None of those lock that go on the steering wheel are worth the money. All they do is cut the steering wheel and slide off the lock and off they are with you car. My older brother had a 66 Chevy P/U that the kept steeling the stereo out of(3 stolen). So I made a plate that went under the dash and it had about 20 or so pieces of razor sharp edges on it. (and I do mean razor sharp). Well, About 2 days after I installed it in for him. He went out to his truck to go to work and the rubber floor board was covered in blood. Needless to say they never stole his stereo again.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Year: 1999

And if the thief was smart enough he could have easily have sued you for his injuries.

Add cut off switches, pull the distributor cap, toss a locked chain through the wheels to a tree, pull fuses... so many cheap/free ways to secure a vehicle.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl

Go to Amazon.com you can find car alarms for around $35 shipped, they are easy to install and will detur theifs.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bbasso
And if the thief was smart enough he could have easily have sued you for his injuries.
be a hard one to prove that the metal objects were intentionally there to harm someone.

besides thieves that sue people don't often stay walking upright very long

i remember about ten years ago a bunch of us were hanging out. walk outside and find some dude in my friends truck. dude doesn't even notice us. one of my friends grabs a bat, walks over, dude jumps out and starts running. my friend just clubbed the f'k out of him. cops come, everyone says thief lunged at our friend with a screwdriver and he was defending himself. long story short thief gets 3 years for attempted assault with a weapon and the theft charges. friend gets a pat on the back

Last edited by racebum; 08-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by racebum
be a hard one to prove that the metal objects were intentionally there to harm someone.
Very true! if you ever looked under the dash of an old truck like my brothers 66 or my 65. It is all metal and plenty of sharp edges. Believe me I have cut my hands plenty of times just working under there. Plus the plate just popped in and out in about 2 seconds.
besides thieves that sue people don't often stay walking upright very long

i remember about ten years ago a bunch of us were hanging out. walk outside and find some dude in my friends truck. dude doesn't even notice us. one of my friends grabs a bat, walks over, dude jumps out and starts running. my friend just clubbed the f'k out of him. cops come, everyone says thief lunged at our friend with a screwdriver and he was defending himself. long story short thief gets 3 years for attempted assault with a weapon and the theft charges. friend gets a pat on the back
Anyone that want to rip something off from me WILL get what he deserves!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 90

You have my sympathy. I used to park on the street in front of my house. One night someone tried to steal my 90 XJ. POS that no one would want, or so I thought. In the process the steering column was damaged so badly they were unable to jimmy the ignition, everything was jammed/seized. I now park in my back yard. Which I have covered with motion sensing lights and two St. Bernards.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Year: 1993

Is there any reason I can't put a switch in between the wire running from the column to the starter solenoid?? Does it have to be a certain type of switch?

Let me know your thoughts
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

No. Just be sure it's a good one, not Chinese crap. Here sometimes I hit the Marine supply, or an "auto/diesel" supply. Spendy good ones can be! (Yoda Says!)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Bbasso

Add cut off switches, pull the distributor cap, toss a locked chain through the wheels to a tree, pull fuses... so many cheap/free ways to secure a vehicle.

Last I remember Texas still has protection of property laws(within reason), I remember in Houston many a repo men wound up at the clinic or hospital years ago.