Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee sputters in drive

Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee sputters in drive

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with the AW4 automatic. I was stopped at a light And It started to sputter in drive while taking off and died. I restarted it and put it in drive and It kept dying. I finally got it to stay running in drive but you have to stay under 5mph with it sputtering the whole time. I got it to a close parking lot. The Strange thing is it all go into reverse and it moves just fine with no sputtering and normal idle. It also run and idles normal in nuetral. I can also rev the engine in park or nuetral and it revs fine. Transmission didn’t make any strange sounds.The rpms are fine. It doesn’t rev up like a slipping transmission. It idles normal.It shifts into reverse and drives normal in reverse. Tranny Fluid level in good and the normal red color. Transfer case is fine. Drivelines are fine. I replaced the fuel filter. The Charging system seems fine because it has a new alternator. The starter turns over normal and starts up fine. It does have a slight leak in one of the tranny lines the goes into the radiator, but nothing big. The tranny line has been leaking like this for a while. I have always had a couple drips on the garage floor but no puddles. It has never ran out of fluid or been really low. I am stumped. I Originally thought it was the transmission. Now I don’t think so,But still not ruling it out. Does anyone have any suggestions and what it could be.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Have you tested the TPS and the IAC? I doubt it’s drive line related. It sounds more like a sensor or fuel issue
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 AM

If I had a bad TPS or IAC. Wouldn’t it sputter in reverse also, mine runs fine in reverse.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Low fuel pressure could be the cause.

Also, look at the wiring for the CPS and make sure it isn't grounding out somewhere when the engine moves.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:57 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I’m having a similar problem but mine is a bit odd. Allow me to explain .ok so yesterday I was showing my grandpa my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ and while I was showing him it shut off and wouldn’t start so we listened to the fuel pump it didn’t sound normal so I unscrewed the fuel pressure cap on the fuel rail and pressed down the valve and there was no gas just air but my tank was at a 1/4 of a tank but the fuel pump was working so he held down the valve while I cycled the pump and eventually the Gas came back. And it drives fine now but I also have a problem where it spits and sputters and pops back through the intake when I get on the throttle oh and its not a plugged cat I did a cat delete last night . But there is no check engine light. Will someone please tell me what is wrong with this ole 4.0L I just don’t understand how something has gas and then has no gas even though the fuel pump is running some one help thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by corypowell1234
I’m having a similar problem but mine is a bit odd. Allow me to explain .ok so yesterday I was showing my grandpa my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ and while I was showing him it shut off and wouldn’t start so we listened to the fuel pump it didn’t sound normal so I unscrewed the fuel pressure cap on the fuel rail and pressed down the valve and there was no gas just air but my tank was at a 1/4 of a tank but the fuel pump was working so he held down the valve while I cycled the pump and eventually the Gas came back. And it drives fine now but I also have a problem where it spits and sputters and pops back through the intake when I get on the throttle oh and its not a plugged cat I did a cat delete last night . But there is no check engine light. Will someone please tell me what is wrong with this ole 4.0L I just don’t understand how something has gas and then has no gas even though the fuel pump is running some one help thanks

Fuel pump is dying.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Fuel pump is dying.
I don’t think it would be that cause it was still pumping just wasn’t pumping gas it had good pressure it’s just that the pressure was air not gas could it be the pressure regulator
Old 03-15-2019, 12:49 PM

​​​oh I drove it this morning
Old 03-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by corypowell1234

I don’t think it would be that cause it was still pumping just wasn’t pumping gas it had good pressure it’s just that the pressure was air not gas could it be the pressure regulator
Seems you have it all figured out then. Ill quit cluttering up your thread....
Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 AM

Cory I’m glad you got your problem fixed on my thread. But can we get back to my question.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:14 AM

I will check to see if the cps is grounding out. I couldn’t imagine the engine would move that much when you put it in drive,but who knows.i have never needed to check to see how much the engine is moving till now. Could this possibly mean a crank position sensor is going out. In my last two jeeps the CPS just stopped working and the engine would just keep cranking and not fire. Anymore ideas on what I can look for while checking this out.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

It could still be a fuel issue in the tank with a good pump. If the hose from the pump to the nipple has a year or the clamps are loose, then the pump could be working fine. The flow of fuel could be gushing out of a crack in the line or a loose connection (I had a loose connection from a previous owner - who was a mechanic). In reverse the fuel sloshes towards the front of the tank. This would create resistance thru the path of the crack or loose fitting hose. That would make more fuel this more pressure down the line.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 AM

ok so ill give you my opoion on what i think it is. these jeeps have a setup where they rely on the TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor) and the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) to shift the transmission. with that being said your reverse gear is a non shifting gear or a manual shifted gear so when it goes into reverse it just acts like the engine is in neutral. but when you put it in drve 1st gear only goes about 5-10mph then shifts to second but if your jeep is trying to shift to second then it hesitates and dies its probably goig to be the TPS or the MAP because when it goes to shift its not equallying out the Manifold Pressure which leans or richens your engine. causing back fire through the intake or through the exaust and if its not the MAP or the TPS then its gonna be fuel delivery.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:09 AM

Sorry, but there is no relationship between MAP and trans.