Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee speaker upgrades in hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cherokee speaker upgrades in hatch

I have a 99 cherokee I was considering doing some upgrade work to the sound system on, I know that earlier models have the speakers in the hatch because I had an older one before that I did the speakers on. My 99 doesnt have speakers in the hatch, I was wondering if there is even wiring back there for speakers to even hook up to..was it an option? and the front door speakers are 6.5s right? Are there any other speaker locations pre-wired that would be an easy hook up? My Cherokee only has 2 speakers, and to be honest it kinda sucks
Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

I have an 88 so not sure if it's relevant, but I have 5.5s in the front. Modded 6x9s in the hatch with 3/4" plywood. Sounds good and fairly sinple.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 AM

Year: 1992

Dont u have a sound bar? U can easily run wires to the hatch.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by papaj
Dont u have a sound bar? U can easily run wires to the hatch.
No my jeep doenst have a sound bar, Im thinking it was an option. Would a sound bar from an older jeep work in my jeep? Would anyone know that?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header

Rear hatch is fiberglass so be sure to reinforce around the speakers. As I would put speakers in the rear doors, works and sounds way better. Cuz if you have stuff in the back blocking the speakers they're pretty much useless . Good Luck!!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by gilbertxj466
Rear hatch is fiberglass so be sure to reinforce around the speakers. As I would put speakers in the rear doors, works and sounds way better. Cuz if you have stuff in the back blocking the speakers they're pretty much useless . Good Luck!!
the only problem is that im making tube/half doors for the summer, so I wanted to put speakers in the hatch, or get a sound bar, as mine didnt come with one
Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header

Make sure your new doors are solid and fit really well, espeacially if you're gonna be flexing. Without the stock doors the uni body chassis flexes like really bad and will definitly cause your rear hatch to crack. While you're making the doors, wouldn't be abad idea to make some frame stiffeners too.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by gilbertxj466
Make sure your new doors are solid and fit really well, espeacially if you're gonna be flexing. Without the stock doors the uni body chassis flexes like really bad and will definitly cause your rear hatch to crack. While you're making the doors, wouldn't be abad idea to make some frame stiffeners too.
yeah I have been reading alot on them and may do some half doors instead to improve the rigidity of the chassis. Its all a work in progress...im just trying to work on it all over winter and get it all done to be ready for the snow and have fun in the summer
Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Year: 1992

Id just buy a soundbar then.. Itl fit all the XJs are more or less the same. Shouldnt have any issues. pretty sure those run 6 1/2"s
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by papaj
Id just buy a soundbar then.. Itl fit all the XJs are more or less the same. Shouldnt have any issues. pretty sure those run 6 1/2"s
that was my question...I can get a deal on one I believe. But is there wiring already up there for the sound bar? and would I still be able to run an overhead center console?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

97+ rear hatches are steel not fiberglass. They werent an option in 97+ but were in some 84-96. I would recommend to either make or buy some kick panels that hold speakers (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C301...kee+kick+panel good example of what I mean, although I would try to find some for less) And then add a soundbar (any year should work honestly) in the rear. That will give you PLENTY of sound, especially with the right door speakers. 6 1/2" speakers will fit in all sound bars 84-96. Speakers in the hatch will give you more sound if you keep your hatch empty, otherwise wont do much. Another reason i'd recommend against them in the hatch is the fact that most 97-01 hatches wont hardly stay open in the first place (weak stabilizers... or whatever they're called) and the addition of speakers in there probably wont help.

Just my 0.02 cents...
Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
97+ rear hatches are steel not fiberglass. They werent an option in 97+ but were in some 84-96. I would recommend to either make or buy some kick panels that hold speakers (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C301...kee+kick+panel good example of what I mean, although I would try to find some for less) And then add a soundbar (any year should work honestly) in the rear. That will give you PLENTY of sound, especially with the right door speakers. 6 1/2" speakers will fit in all sound bars 84-96. Speakers in the hatch will give you more sound if you keep your hatch empty, otherwise wont do much. Another reason i'd recommend against them in the hatch is the fact that most 97-01 hatches wont hardly stay open in the first place (weak stabilizers... or whatever they're called) and the addition of speakers in there probably wont help.

Just my 0.02 cents...
Yeah, i have my 2 front door speakers they sound alright but its just not enough. I had a 92 cherokee before that had speakers in the hatch, that sounded alot better than my system does now. I just didnt know if it was an option to have speakers in the hatch or not. I know that some 97-01s had a built in sound bar, but I didnt know if there was pre existing wiring above the headliner for the addition of a sound bar, or if you had to run your own wires. And for 179 id rather just keep my ****ty sound system lol, imo thats way too much for some plastic
Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by sik_xj
Yeah, i have my 2 front door speakers they sound alright but its just not enough. I had a 92 cherokee before that had speakers in the hatch, that sounded alot better than my system does now. I just didnt know if it was an option to have speakers in the hatch or not. I know that some 97-01s had a built in sound bar, but I didnt know if there was pre existing wiring above the headliner for the addition of a sound bar, or if you had to run your own wires. And for 179 id rather just keep my ****ty sound system lol, imo thats way too much for some plastic
lol mostly was just using that for an example. If it were ME i would make them out of fiberglass. Shouldnt cost much at all. But i wouldnt doubt there being pre-existing wiring.. and if theres not its VERY easy to run wires to the soundbar.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
lol mostly was just using that for an example. If it were ME i would make them out of fiberglass. Shouldnt cost much at all. But i wouldnt doubt there being pre-existing wiring.. and if theres not its VERY easy to run wires to the soundbar.
yeah, because its just speaker wire. The sound bar i looked at has a pre existing dome light in it as well, so i might have to wire for that.
do you know if i could still run an overhead console with a sound bar? i imagine I could right?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Soundbar!

with 6.5" speakers:

Quick Reply: Cherokee speaker upgrades in hatch