Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 TD
Default cherokee problems

hi i have just bought a 1995 2.5TD and there is a few problems with it and was wondering whether anyone could help.

1. the central locking only works with the internal lock/unlock button

2.the aerial does not go up

3.the computer thingy on the roof only displays the direction and not the temp

4.the biggest thing is when it is put in 4 wheel drive it moves but there is a very loud banging from under the car and you can physically feel it. this is towards the front end i think is there any common problems i have listed. cheers dan
Old 07-31-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I can answer 1 but not sure about the rest. You have a key fob for it correct? Have you tried messing with the battery with the fob? Try opening it up and cleaning it out then closing it again and see if that helps, if not then replace the battery.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 PM

unfortunately i have no fob does this model come with a fob as standard and could i get a replacement. thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by dan113

2.the aerial does not go up
What is the aerial?

Your basically gonna need to check your under carriage out and see what is going on. T-case fluid may need changing. Front Diff may need fluid change. Once you get the old fluid out run a magnet through. Your DS could be messed up. Does everything look fine visually.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

1. the central locking only works with the internal lock/unlock button
Originally Posted by Kyle
I can answer 1 but not sure about the rest. You have a key fob for it correct? Have you tried messing with the battery with the fob? Try opening it up and cleaning it out then closing it again and see if that helps, if not then replace the battery.
unfortunately i have no fob does this model come with a fob as standard and could i get a replacement. thanks

If its not the key fob you are talking about then I am not too sure what you are talking about. Please explain a lil better.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM

aerial=antenna

i did not receive a key fob with the car. the central locking does not operate with the key in the drivers door and the only way to lock/unlock the rear doors is, either with the door lock/unlock switch with the window controls, or the actual locks next to the internal handles.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

aerial=antenna

i did not receive a key fob with the car. the central locking does not operate with the key in the drivers door and the only way to lock/unlock the rear doors is, either with the door lock/unlock switch with the window controls, or the actual locks next to the internal handles.
Thats how it works

You unlock the driver door then flip the unlock switch to unlock everything else. You need to remember this is a jeep not a BMW
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 03Rubicon,2001,1989 2-door(desribed)
Engine: 4.0 H.O. swap

Banging in front end might be a bad cardian joint on the front driveshaft crawl under and check the T-case end of your front driveshaft for play or noticable wear or it could be a bad (broken)front axleshaft or internal differential problem most likely spider gears but could also be a ring&pinion problem.
If it was me I would get under the frontend and look at the axleshaft u-joints inside each steering knuckle if no obvious cause is apparent then I'd raise the front and put it on jackstands(after blocking rear tires) place the T-case shifter in neutral then get under the front and turn the tires by hand if you still haven't seen anything out of place with the front axleshafts then drain the front diff fluid and remove the cover now this time have someone else turn the tires by hand or turn one with your foot while watching the ring gear and still no obvious problem again turn tire until the one of the open sides of the carrier faces forward so you can see the spider gears, now block one front tire to keep it from spinning and turn the other back and forth slowly while watching the spider gears work and if still no problem is evident replace the diff cover refill it with clean fluid and get some really loud speakers and install them in your cherokee so you can't hear the noise anymore

Last edited by Blackburn; 07-31-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Wow you mean your elec lock still work??? I have to go to each door and unlock it and lock it. And mine is a limited. Windows still work though sometimes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

The antenna (aeriel) has it's power connection in the kick panel on the right front. There is a power wire that is connected to the radio and goes through a relay this raises your antenna automatically when the radio is on and the key is in the on position. The relay may be bad. The electric motor that raises and lowers the antenna may be bad or finally and easiest it may have a blown fuse. Check those items and get back to us on the antenna.

Stryker take your locks apart and clean them then lube the moving parts and see if yours don't return from the dead.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

For the computer thingy on the roof you might need to replace the sensor. On my ZJ it was located behind the grill....I would assume yours is there also. This is for a 95 cherokee country but it is probably the same for yours http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...erature+Sensor ......Actually it is the same part as mine so they must just make one fit all.

Last edited by drakan1908; 07-31-2008 at 10:00 PM.