Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee over heats after replacing everything!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee over heats after replacing everything!!

Hi, I have a 2001 cherokee sport edition. At idle it sits right below 210. But if you drive it up hills or put any strain on the engine it Climbs to about 225. I just replaced head gasket, head, 2 core radiator, water pump, radiator hoses, radiator cap, and even after all this it is still getting hot. Yesterday I drove it home after school and it got to about 220 and i went inside and came back out and there was a puddle of coolant under it. It is really frustrating me, I can't figure it out. please help
Old 10-08-2016, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You didn't mention the thermostat but I figured you replaced a $10 part. May have air in system.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

No mention of the two fans or a shroud either. What replacement head did you get?
Old 10-09-2016, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Big David
You didn't mention the thermostat but I figured you replaced a $10 part. May have air in system.
We bought it with an over heating problem and when we looked at the thermostat it looked brand new
Old 10-09-2016, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
No mention of the two fans or a shroud either. What replacement head did you get?
I got a j & c enterprises head that is suppose to be thicker casting to prevent cracking. And I am running 3 electric fans.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

225 not really overheating. Have the system pressure checked dont forget the cap. Nothing cools better than stock set up. Were the fan installed by you or there when bought ?

Last edited by freegdr; 10-09-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

i often find that the overflow hose will leak if it's not clamped to the radiator, you wouldn't notice this during a pressure test because that hose is eliminated during the test. what triggers the fans? 225 is still within the realm of reasonable albeit at the upper end of it. do the fans ever trigger at idle?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:11 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Where are you getting the temp readings from? A stock in dash gauge? Independent aftermarket gauge? Handheld temp gun? You are right at the threshold for what would be considered overheating. Stock fans don't kick on until somewhere around 215*. With temps reaching 220-225* on a regular basis. One thing not yet mentioned is to check the specific gravity of the coolant you are running. Poor coolant concentration can really add to an overheat condition.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

What you describe sorta sounds like a head issue. You sure you got everything buttoned down and sealed up properly? You sure the block and head surfaces mated up properly? You might want to test for a leaking head gasket.

One thing to consider is that the water jackets may be full of crud, especially if you swapped the head because of a cracked 0331 that was causing overheating. It might help to run Prestone flush or Amway laundry detergent through it to flush out any packed in crap that didn't get flushed out when you replaced the other components.

Also, are you certain your aftermarket fans are blowing the right direction?

Originally Posted by 94XJYKuz
Stock fans don't kick on until somewhere around 215*.
He has a 2001. In 2000 and 2001 XJs, the electric fan does not come on until the coolant temperature reaches 221° F. Then it stays on until the temp drops to 217°. This is a change from prior years to allow the motor to run a little hotter for emissions purposes.

That may not make any difference, however, since he has swapped out the stock fans for a setup that could be contributing to the problem just as easily as the solution. Personally I would start by verifying the temp with an IR thermometer pointed at the thermostat housing. If it turned out to really be running hot, I would take the fans back to stock to rule out the aftermarket fans as a problem. Then I would troubleshoot the stock system until the actual problem was found and fixed.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
225 not really overheating. Have the system pressure checked dont forget the cap. Nothing cools better than stock set up. Were the fan installed by you or there when bought ?
They were already installed when I bought it
Old 10-09-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 94XJYKuz
Where are you getting the temp readings from? A stock in dash gauge? Independent aftermarket gauge? Handheld temp gun? You are right at the threshold for what would be considered overheating. Stock fans don't kick on until somewhere around 215*. With temps reaching 220-225* on a regular basis. One thing not yet mentioned is to check the specific gravity of the coolant you are running. Poor coolant concentration can really add to an overheat condition.
Yes stock dash gage. And the coolant is drained on it right now. I will make sure when I refill it that it will be the proper ratio
Old 10-09-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by XJRed96
i often find that the overflow hose will leak if it's not clamped to the radiator, you wouldn't notice this during a pressure test because that hose is eliminated during the test. what triggers the fans? 225 is still within the realm of reasonable albeit at the upper end of it. do the fans ever trigger at idle?
The fans are always on. And I will definitely be doing a pressure test next
Old 10-09-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
What you describe sorta sounds like a head issue. You sure you got everything buttoned down and sealed up properly? You sure the block and head surfaces mated up properly? You might want to test for a leaking head gasket.

One thing to consider is that the water jackets may be full of crud, especially if you swapped the head because of a cracked 0331 that was causing overheating. It might help to run Prestone flush or Amway laundry detergent through it to flush out any packed in crap that didn't get flushed out when you replaced the other components.

Also, are you certain your aftermarket fans are blowing the right direction?

He has a 2001. In 2000 and 2001 XJs, the electric fan does not come on until the coolant temperature reaches 221° F. Then it stays on until the temp drops to 217°. This is a change from prior years to allow the motor to run a little hotter for emissions purposes.

That may not make any difference, however, since he has swapped out the stock fans for a setup that could be contributing to the problem just as easily as the solution. Personally I would start by verifying the temp with an IR thermometer pointed at the thermostat housing. If it turned out to really be running hot, I would take the fans back to stock to rule out the aftermarket fans as a problem. Then I would troubleshoot the stock system until the actual problem was found and fixed.
I have already run prestone flush through it. Will a stock fan work with a 2 core radiator? can I just test the head gasket with a compression test?

Last edited by cherokeeone; 10-09-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:40 PM
cas

Originally Posted by cherokeeone
I have already run prestone flush through it. Will a stock fan work with a 2 core radiator? can I just test the head gasket with a compression test?
I used a (Block Tester ) from NAPA, $42. Basically you lower fluid level in radiator and use hand pump to pull vapors from radiator up through test liquid. If liquid turns green/yellow you have compression gasses in coolant system. Blown head gasket