Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Laredo (1987) help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee Laredo (1987) help

Hello, I have a jeep cherokee laredo from 1987 I believe, Its been sitting in the drive way for a while. I'm trying to restore it. It runs but has trouble getting started & my friend feels it may need a fuel pump replacement.

Questions: I have an electric fuel pump that might work but the fuel pump is in the tank i believe (or in the case where the tank is, at the rear of the jeep). The nuts are on pretty tight & using a torque wrench to try and get em off just bends the metal straps/struts. Any suggestions on how to remove them, or what to do if the metal keeps getting bent?

Also, the headlights don't work though after replacing a fuse the lights inside the jeep do. Any idea how I can trouble shoot whats wrong with the headlights?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Iam not positive about an 87, but I don't think you have to remove the tank........if you look at the front of the tank you should see two rings with wires going to them, one is your float and the other the pump. Just knock off the spanner nut and pull (maybe pry gently)
Old 11-20-2011, 11:09 AM

I looked up the Vin that came with the bill of sale (on a jeep vin decoder) for my jeep and it came up with this:

You searched for VIN : 1JCMT784XHT091XXX
This vehicle's data:
Country of ManufactureUnited States ManufacturerJeep Corporation Vehicle TypeMulti-Purpose Vehicle Engine4.0L, I-6, MPI Powertrain4-speed automatic, floor gear shift, Select-Trac/ 4 W/D Body TypeJeep Cherokee, 4-W/D, 4-Door Station Wagon, 101 inch wheel base Gross Vehicle WeightWrangler Laredo, Cherokee Laredo, Wagoneer Limited = 4001 - 5000 lbs Assembly PlantToledo, Ohio, USA Model Year1987
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Your pump is in the tank, dropping the tank is not necessary.

When you say its having trouble starting, what do you mean? That's really not very descriptive.

Your year Cherokee is known for having issues with poor ground wires. If its slowly turning over, that's the first thing I would check. As well as a full tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, maybe even coil. Has an oil change been done recently? If not, do one.

How long has this been sitting?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Also, moved to OEM Tech, your truck isn't a Grand Cherokee.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Thank you for putting this in the proper area (OEM tech).

I took off the inner circle piece that keeps the gas pump in place on the surface of the tank, but haven't taken out the gas pump yet, how easily is it supposed to slide out because my friend says the pieces are sensitive? Also, am I supposed to remove the electric connector attached to the surface before sliding it out? (and how do I remove connector, bud said not to yank it, but I don't see a clip removal piece).

My Cherokee Laredo has been sitting since June of '06 (about 5 years), I only recently decided to start working on it (polished, cleaning, maintenance). I could take it for a tune up but before then, if possible, I'd like to learn to do as much of that job myself.

When I start it, it chokes a little bit, I can be more descriptive but can't try starting it again til I finish replacing electric fuel pump fully. By choking I mean, it sputters at first (friend thinks it might be a bad fuel pump), sometimes the engine sputters in a higher pitch and so I press on the gas pedal and that seems to help push it to start. It can idle at 10 rpm.

I haven't done an oil change but bud thinks oil is fine for now (after checking it), but another bud suggested I get fresh gas in there mixed w/ some dry gas to absorb any potential old gas.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Stop listening to your buddies, please. No offense, but they are leading you down the wrong path.

Don't replace the pump. At least not yet.

And you don't need to take it anywhere for a tune up.

Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are simple and can be easily replaced with basic hand tools. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

As for the oil, it should be changed regularly every 3 months or 3,000 miles. I'm guessing your LONG past the 3 month mark.

The sputtering and poor running is probably a combo of bad gas, bad oil, and poor ignition equipment. Get the tune up done, get fresh gas, and clean your ground wire connections.

Then worry about other things like fuel pump.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Stop listening to your buddies, please. No offense, but they are leading you down the wrong path.

Don't replace the pump. At least not yet.

And you don't need to take it anywhere for a tune up.

Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are simple and can be easily replaced with basic hand tools. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

As for the oil, it should be changed regularly every 3 months or 3,000 miles. I'm guessing your LONG past the 3 month mark.

The sputtering and poor running is probably a combo of bad gas, bad oil, and poor ignition equipment. Get the tune up done, get fresh gas, and clean your ground wire connections.

Then worry about other things like fuel pump.
x2!!!

Start with smaller jobs first and work your way up to bigger jobs. Since you already pulled the fuel pump, replace it but then go for the above suggestions
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Kk, fuel pump first, tune up stuff 2nd. Thank you, both of you. So far I removed the fuel pump. The results:

Name:  fmRXN.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  86.8 KB
Name:  cy20W.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  77.0 KB

Is the black sticky stuff a worn down gasket? If I must replace it how do I know what gasket type/size to get? And will any car store/auto shop sell them?

Last edited by Keromonkey; 11-21-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

Buy a new pump if you dont you'll kick yourself in the *** later for being stupid.