Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee driving question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question Cherokee driving question

I've had my 97 Cherokee about a week now. It is in really excellent condition but I've noticed that sometimes it sort of slips when you let off the gas and started going. Only sometimes does it do this. If you stop at an intersection (or wherever) and start out again there is a slight pause and a very soft thud, then the truck goes. You feel it more than hear it. It feels like it takes a second to get in gear. It's in 2wd and the transmission fluid level is fine.

Any thoughts?

I bought it to move to Texas. It's going to get a thorough tune up before I leave, which won't be until I sell my house.

Any ideas on things to check for before I take it somewhere?

Are any "chain" service paces better than others for Jeep work? Like Midas or places like that? just curious.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

First idea is dont take it anywhere

Where does this thud sound like its coming from?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

X2 the thing that is great about cherokees is that almost eveything on it is EASY to do yourself an you got us in your corner coaching ya if need. I would drain every drop of fluid and change your plugs. I do like to take my cherokee in for wheel balancing and Lube jobs just cause I hate lubing. But usually if you want stuff done right learn how to do it yourself cause they will have you running penzoil oil, fram filters, and type F tranny fluid
Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by cecyt1300
I've had my 97 Cherokee about a week now. It is in really excellent condition but I've noticed that sometimes it sort of slips when you let off the gas and started going. Only sometimes does it do this. If you stop at an intersection (or wherever) and start out again there is a slight pause and a very soft thud, then the truck goes. You feel it more than hear it. It feels like it takes a second to get in gear. It's in 2wd and the transmission fluid level is fine.

Any thoughts?

I bought it to move to Texas. It's going to get a thorough tune up before I leave, which won't be until I sell my house.

Any ideas on things to check for before I take it somewhere?

Are any "chain" service paces better than others for Jeep work? Like Midas or places like that? just curious.

How many miles?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 03Rubicon,2001,1989 2-door(desribed)
Engine: 4.0 H.O. swap

My wifes 2001 XJ does the same thing intermittently, it has about 80k miles on it and it's all stock with a 231 case, the tranny has been serviced regularly and fluid has never been low. I dunno what the heck it is maybe spiders goin bad in the rear or just a shift flaw not sure cause it doesn't do it that often been doin it for a year though
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

U-joints are good? Pinion slap? Loose chain in t/c? Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Where does this thud sound like its coming from?
It seems to be from the right rear.

How many miles?
About 118,000. All fluid levels checkable from under the hood are at the correct level and look like they are in good shape. I am planning on a major tune up before moving. Change all fluids, new plugs, plug wires, distributor, air filter and the other things the manual says change at that kind of mileage.

cause they will have you running penzoil oil, fram filters, and type F tranny fluid
I am planning on doing as many things as I can myself. Not only to save money, but to make sure the Jeep gets good, and correct, fluids etc. I have a Haynes manual and want to get a factory shop manual too. I don't mind doing as much as I can, but I just don't have the equipment to do all of it.

U-joints are good? Pinion slap? Loose chain in t/c?
I am new to 4WD, and to working on anything other than simple changes. I don't even know where or how to check for those things. I don't even have a good floor jack, jack stands, or wheel ramps yet. I don't mind getting them, but anything that requires than that will have to be done by a shop.
I just don't have room, time, or money for more than that.

Thanks for all of your input! I appreciate the help, and certainly need it. I really love the Jeep I bought and want to be familiar with them. I think Cherokes are my favorite and I plan on always having one from now on.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Renix Super Guru

Came up with another possibility now that I have had a chance to think. Shocks can be so worn that they can make a thud or thumping sound.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Came up with another possibility now that I have had a chance to think. Shocks can be so worn that they can make a thud or thumping sound.
It rides pretty nice so far. What's a good way to test for a worn out shock?

This thud only happens when starting out from a stop.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Renix Super Guru

You could start by looking to see if they are wet from leaking fluid and while doing that check for loose connections where they attach to he body and rear axle. While under there check the u-joints for excessive movement or missing straps or bolts.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.7 Stroker

If it was the shocks thumping, it would do it when you hit pot holes and such. Not just take off.

My buddy's 2001 needs bar pin eliminators badly. It thumps on every bump with new shocks. Just the bar pin making noise.

I would think tranny fluid is low and its taking time to build up pressure to take off.

make sure you use the correct tranny fluid if you change it. The Chrysler stuff is NOT the fluid to use. Use DEXTRON per the service manual.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Renix Super Guru

Somewhere in this thread I thought he said the tranny was up on fluid and I was more thinking about the shock being loose more than bad.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Engine: 4.0

check your motor mounts
Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Somewhere in this thread I thought he said the tranny was up on fluid

Right you are BlueXJ. The transmission fluid is good.

I would think tranny fluid is low and its taking time to build up pressure to take off.
I was hoping this was the case as it's the simplest fix. But I'm not that lucky.

If I replace the fluid I'll follow the manual. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by mike94jy
check your motor mounts
The thud is coming from the rear. Would lose motor mounts cause that? When I checked the transmission fluid with the engine running they seemed to be okay, but I can check again.

Quick Reply: Cherokee driving question