Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AT changing rough

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question AT changing rough

Hi, I just bought a Jeep Cherokee and something seems to be wrong with the AT, it changes rough and late. 1st to 2nd at 18mph, 2nd to 3rd at 36mph but almost 3000rpm(feels late), and then it changes smoth with no problem. Is there a way to set the transmission to change at something like 10 and 20mph? I've already found answers for many other issues here and I really apreciate your help. Thanks.
ESH - 1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

If you have the limited, then you should have the opitional tranny switch to the right of the steering wheel. That was designed to change the shift points for towing. Mabey thats the culprit but I would change the fluid if it looks dirty in the slightest and add some transmission treatment. My buddy has a 95 XJ and he added some tranny treatment cause his was shifting rough and he said it smoothed his out better than it has ever been, Good Luck!!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 PM

I didn't find the switch, maybe it didn't come with the towing package although there's a towing hitch, I don't know. I will try the transmission treatment, hopefuly it will work. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Dont throw trans treatment in...

The trans switch mentioned is year specific. I dont remember if 92 had it, but it wouldnt make a difference in this case as the trans is shifting late in your description. Search "power comfort switch" if you want more info on that.

Sounds like you have a common issue with needing a minor adjustment with your trans kickdown cable. Theres a specific and extremely easy way to adjust this... let me dig out my FSM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

Originally Posted by LCFRJEEP
If you have the limited, then you should have the opitional tranny switch to the right of the steering wheel. That was designed to change the shift points for towing. Mabey thats the culprit but I would change the fluid if it looks dirty in the slightest and add some transmission treatment. My buddy has a 95 XJ and he added some tranny treatment cause his was shifting rough and he said it smoothed his out better than it has ever been, Good Luck!!
what did he use slick 50? im having some tranny issues too so im thinkin bout gettin some slick 50
Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Dont throw trans treatment in...

The trans switch mentioned is year specific. I dont remember if 92 had it, but it wouldnt make a difference in this case as the trans is shifting late in your description. Search "power comfort switch" if you want more info on that.

Sounds like you have a common issue with needing a minor adjustment with your trans kickdown cable. Theres a specific and extremely easy way to adjust this... let me dig out my FSM.
mines not down shifting or shifting into overdrive, do you think the kick down cable might need adjusted on mine?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Taken from FSM.

Press cable release button (D-shaped) just above mount on cable

Push conduit back into cable sheath as far as possible.

Rotate lever on throttle body to wide open position. Cable will ratchet to correct point as lever is rotated.

Make sure the conduit is clean and slides in smoothly.

Last edited by OverlandZJ; 02-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
mines not down shifting or shifting into overdrive, do you think the kick down cable might need adjusted on mine?
I honestly dont know, but guess it doesnt hurt to try.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

sweet ill give that a shot if the tps dont do it thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 AM

Thanks for all the information guys, but seriously I didn't get a thing about the kick down cable(sorry I'm not very knowledgeable). Could someone send me pictures or ilustrations about "how to"? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

ill get some for you today if the snow lets up
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

is it giving any codes? Does it seem like a Elect issue or mechanical? My trans wouldnt shift into OD some times and would shift real high and do all kinds of funny stuff. I had 3 codes. mine turned out to be the Transmission control module. Replaced it with a JY unit.....fine and dandy now.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
is it giving any codes? Does it seem like a Elect issue or mechanical? My trans wouldnt shift into OD some times and would shift real high and do all kinds of funny stuff. I had 3 codes. mine turned out to be the Transmission control module. Replaced it with a JY unit.....fine and dandy now.
Don't mean to hijack, but mine is doing just as you describe...doesn't shift into OD sometimes, but is otherwise ok. I have adjusted the kick down cable as described above to no avail. Where is that TCM and how hard to replace?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
Don't mean to hijack, but mine is doing just as you describe...doesn't shift into OD sometimes, but is otherwise ok. I have adjusted the kick down cable as described above to no avail. Where is that TCM and how hard to replace?
Mine (98 xj)was under the dash driver's side It is easy to replace 2 screws and a wire connector. But on your 96 im not sure..............i was however geting all kinds of shift codes.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
Mine (98 xj)was under the dash driver's side It is easy to replace 2 screws and a wire connector. But on your 96 im not sure..............i was however geting all kinds of shift codes.
Thanks, I'll have to check on a 96...I'm not getting any codes yet, just weirdness.

To the OP, here's a shot of that kickdown cable...it's the one on the bottom.

Quick Reply: AT changing rough