Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Changing an oil pump and rod bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Changing an oil pump and rod bearings

So i got an oil pump and all that to replace it, and i got plasigage, but i dont know how to use it, i guess im supossed to use it to check what size bearings i need? cause im gona change the bearings. my motor has a rattle to it when it warms up when there isnt a load on the engine, but if im exelerating the rattle isnt there. i figured out that the oil presure drops really low like down to 5 at idal when the jeeps warmed up, and thats when the rattle come about.

Last edited by jesse jay; 01-16-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: errors
Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

you need to see wha\t bearings you have prolly standard. do them ONE at the time so you dont mix them up.
1.take rod cap off
2.remove both bearing halves
3.place new bearings halves in
4.place a small piece of plastigueage on new bearing in rod cap
5. Tighten down to torque specs
6.remove rod cap and measure plastiguage. with paper it comes in
7. replace cap
8. retourqe
9. do another
Just do one at a time and you will be ok
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Your block should be marked to show if you have oversized bearings in it.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by thorguy57
Your block should be marked to show if you have oversized bearings in it.
The bearings should have a mark. Mine had an X for standard
Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 PM

They also usually mark the block if it came from the factory with oversize bearings. Coming right out of my manual it says " If any letter codes are stamped on the boss between the ignition coil and distributor, different size bearings were used" You need to read the markings and see if any were used. Keep in mind though this was from the factory so if anyone has went through that motor before this may no longer apply.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by thorguy57
They also usually mark the block if it came from the factory with oversize bearings. Coming right out of my manual it says " If any letter codes are stamped on the boss between the ignition coil and distributor, different size bearings were used" You need to read the markings and see if any were used. Keep in mind though this was from the factory so if anyone has went through that motor before this may no longer apply.
And all bearings are marked one way or the other
Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 PM

Year: 89
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by dbcox
you need to see wha\t bearings you have prolly standard. do them ONE at the time so you dont mix them up.
1.take rod cap off
2.remove both bearing halves
3.place new bearings halves in
4.place a small piece of plastigueage on new bearing in rod cap
5. Tighten down to torque specs
6.remove rod cap and measure plastiguage. with paper it comes in
7. replace cap
8. retourqe
9. do another
Just do one at a time and you will be ok
isnt the whole point of plasigage to find out what size bearings i need?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 AM

no, its to measure clearances after you install new bearings.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by jesse jay
So i got an oil pump and all that to replace it, and i got plasigage, but i dont know how to use it, i guess im supossed to use it to check what size bearings i need? cause im gona change the bearings. my motor has a rattle to it when it warms up when there isnt a load on the engine, but if im exelerating the rattle isnt there. i figured out that the oil presure drops really low like down to 5 at idal when the jeeps warmed up, and thats when the rattle come about.
Are you changing the bearings with the engine in the vehicle or out of the vehicle?

If in the vehicle, using Plastigage will be a major pain in the butt. You’ll have to clean all the oil off of the journal otherwise the Plastigage will dissolve (and it will probably give an erroneous reading to boot). Plus, it’s just not a very precise measurement – you tighten down the bearing cap so it squeezes the Plastigage, remove the bearing cap then compare the width of the crushed Plastigage strip to a printed line on a sheet of paper. It totally sucks.

Anyway, if the engine is in the vehicle, and you can determine if it’s rebuilt or not, using Plastigage for a simple bearing replacement is sort of a moot point because changing the bearing will close up the oil clearance anyway. It still might not be within OE spec, but it should be better than what you started with at the beginning of the job.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

So, your saying just skip over the "Plastigage" part?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by blasto9000
Are you changing the bearings with the engine in the vehicle or out of the vehicle?

If in the vehicle, using Plastigage will be a major pain in the butt. You’ll have to clean all the oil off of the journal otherwise the Plastigage will dissolve (and it will probably give an erroneous reading to boot). Plus, it’s just not a very precise measurement – you tighten down the bearing cap so it squeezes the Plastigage, remove the bearing cap then compare the width of the crushed Plastigage strip to a printed line on a sheet of paper. It totally sucks.

Anyway, if the engine is in the vehicle, and you can determine if it’s rebuilt or not, using Plastigage for a simple bearing replacement is sort of a moot point because changing the bearing will close up the oil clearance anyway. It still might not be within OE spec, but it should be better than what you started with at the beginning of the job.
1. Its not that hard
2. your new bearings will be clean, just wipe the journalm good you will be fine
3.Plastiguage sucks? Wow what do you use? That is part of a blueprinted engine when you build one , thats all it is.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by wildspear
So, your saying just skip over the "Plastigage" part?
No you dont skip this part. it is im portant to know what you got.
Granted putting in new bearing isnt the 100% best way but it will buy you some or al ong time. your journals dont wear round, they wear oblong or not fully round. Ive done it before and people all over have done it before and never looked back.
I guess if plastiguage suck thats why they use it in high dollar racing applications also
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Ok, Just checking. I'm in the process of dropping my oil pan to take a look at things ( I may have a busted rod) saw this thread and decided to ask.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 242

Originally Posted by dbcox
1. Its not that hard
2. your new bearings will be clean, just wipe the journalm good you will be fine
3.Plastiguage sucks? Wow what do you use? That is part of a blueprinted engine when you build one , thats all it is.
Actually, I misstated. Using Plastigage will suck when the engine is still in the vehicle because the oil will keep dripping down and dissolving it. Then you will have an erroneous reading showing too large an oil clearance.

Anyway, it’s easy when the engine is clear of oil and sitting upside-down on a stand in the shop. When the oil is still dripping down you could check the clearance 20 times with Plastigage and you’ll get a vastly different reading every time. Also, Plastigage does not work properly when the piston rings are installed because it relies on a free-sliding piston to get a correct crush.

I have rebuilt 30+ engines and what I use is a dial bore gauge, standard micrometer for the journals and a bearing shell micrometer for the bearings. I have regularly gotten oil clearances to 0.0001”, and in fact did not ship an engine unless the clearances were within this tolerance.

Plastigage still has its uses to verify the assembled clearance on a build. On an engine that’s already been assembled and running I would verify the shell thickness of the new bearing and if within range, yes I would skip the Plastigage.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

alot of people dont have those tools not even a micrometer, So yeah go ahead and skip the plastiguage its like $3, and no idea of what you have is better than a really close measurement. That much oil doesnt interfere with it if any

Quick Reply: Changing an oil pump and rod bearings