Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Changing the fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Default Changing the fuel filter

I've never changed a fuel filter before so where is it located on my 90 and does the tank need to be empty to change it? Any tips or things I should watch for?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

good gracious man lol...you should have made one big thread. No worries.

Ok, i'm not sure if the older xj's fuel filter is the same as mine ('95) but they should be. Mine is on the undercarriage by the rear driver tire above the axle. No the gas tank does not have to be empty, but i would get a pair of hose pliers that work like vice grips so you can pinch off the hose closest to the tank. Gas WILL spill when you change the fuel filter, so get a drip pan. I would also wear Nitrile or Latex gloves so you don't smell like gas for a week and safety glasses so you don't get a face full of gas. From what i remember, it's just a couple of hose clamps and a filter bracket. Make sure you look at the new filter and install it so the flow of fuel is going the right way...there should be an arrow saying 'flow' or 'out' or something.

after you swap in the new filter (and all your other to-do mods you have) turn the key to the 'On' position several times before you start it. This will engage the fuel pump and get the pressure back to normal so it doesn't start and the die out.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by beefmobile

Ok, i'm not sure if the older xj's fuel filter is the same as mine ('95) but they should be. Mine is on the undercarriage by the rear driver tire above the axle. No the gas tank does not have to be empty, but i would get a pair of hose pliers that work like vice grips so you can pinch off the hose closest to the tank. Gas WILL spill when you change the fuel filter, so get a drip pan. I would also wear Nitrile or Latex gloves so you don't smell like gas for a week. From what i remember, it's just a couple of hose clamps and a filter bracket. Make sure you look at the new filter and install it so the flow of fuel is going the right way...there should be an arrow saying 'flow' or 'out' or something.
Hahahahaha I know I felt like I wouldn't get direct answers to all my questions if I made one big thread!! Thanks for all the help man you've answered all of my questions I could think of!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by beefmobile

Ok, i'm not sure if the older xj's fuel filter is the same as mine ('95) but they should be. Mine is on the undercarriage by the rear driver tire above the axle. No the gas tank does not have to be empty, but i would get a pair of hose pliers that work like vice grips so you can pinch off the hose closest to the tank. Gas WILL spill when you change the fuel filter, so get a drip pan. I would also wear Nitrile or Latex gloves so you don't smell like gas for a week and safety glasses so you don't get a face full of gas. From what i remember, it's just a couple of hose clamps and a filter bracket. Make sure you look at the new filter and install it so the flow of fuel is going the right way...there should be an arrow saying 'flow' or 'out' or something.

after you swap in the new filter (and all your other to-do mods you have) turn the key to the 'On' position several times before you start it. This will engage the fuel pump and get the pressure back to normal so it doesn't start and the die out.
ALSO - You need to de-pressurize the fuel system BEFORE you loosen the clamps. There is a fitting at the fuel rail that looks like an air valve. Put a rag over it and push it in for a second.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

you can start the truck then pull the fuel pump relay, when it dies turn it off and reinstall the relay. that will remove the pressure so you can change the filter without gas spraying everywhere.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

x2 on what sportrider stated.

just look for a big 'ol soda can looking thing on the undercarriage by the driver rear tire. cant miss it!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: i6

x2 safety glasses, its so much easier than it sounds unless ur hose is super rotted, i think its just 3/8" rubber from any auto store... once you see it your just gonna say cake... man, i just crawled under my jeep, so fuel filter and hose(looks like 3/8 or 1/4, i dont know i got rust in my eye) on my too do list, thanks for the thread
Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: i6

side note... last time i changed it i used a fram filter... do they suck like the oil filters? This ones been on there since i changed it 6 years(40kmi)ago...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sportrider
you can start the truck then pull the fuel pump relay, when it dies turn it off and reinstall the relay. that will remove the pressure so you can change the filter without gas spraying everywhere.
So how is this different than pushing in that pin on the engine that releases fuel pressure and taking the gas cap off?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Get a filter from napa, auto zone etc, it is about the size of a soda can, one 10mm bolt holds a slip clamp, and there are 3 hose clamps, one on the tank side two on the motor side, opeing the gas cap does not release the pressure between the pump and the rail,

Pop the hood and between the injectors there is a cap and like said before under that screw cap is a air valve, get a screw driver or finger, and press it in till the pressure is gone,

Also you really can't screw up witch way the filter goes, one nipple is bigger than the other, if you manage to get it backwards and get the fuel hose on your special haha! Seriously tho there should be an arrow or just put the bigger nipple towards the tank

What's your reason for changing out the filter? I just did my fuel pump and filter today because I was losing fuel pressure and it was stumbling on acceleration
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

It's easier to remove the lines from the fuel filter before removing the strap from around the filter.

Hold an old tshirt or large rag in one hand near the filter while removing the fuel lines from the filter in the other hand. This will help ensure that you can knock any fuel that may spray away from you.

Gasoline in your eardrum HURTS!!!!! Mega painful.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I want to know why taking the relay out and killing the car relieves the pressure. I know how to change the filter out and all the precautions to take when removing lines.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by hawaiian808
What's your reason for changing out the filter? I just did my fuel pump and filter today because I was losing fuel pressure and it was stumbling on acceleration
I'm getting that stumbling when I accelerate some. I need a new fuel sending unit but for some freaking reason I need to buy the whole pump assembly...
Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 AM

Fuel sending unit is located with in the fuel pump assembly on most vehicles.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SystemPhreaker
Fuel sending unit is located with in the fuel pump assembly on most vehicles.
Yea it is but I'm pretty sure you can buy just the fuel sending unit so I don't need to spend $100+ on a whole assembly when I only need that part, I just can't find a place that has one. I'm going to search online right now.

Quick Reply: Changing the fuel filter