Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

changed the oil, may have made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default changed the oil, may have made a mistake

changed the oil in the ol' girl for the first time, and forgot to look up how much oil these jeeps take....well long story short i may have filled her up a little too much. The dipstick reads about half an inch above the fill mark, so my question is, is this bad? do i need to drain some out or just let it be?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
changed the oil in the ol' girl for the first time, and forgot to look up how much oil these jeeps take....well long story short i may have filled her up a little too much. The dipstick reads about half an inch above the fill mark, so my question is, is this bad? do i need to drain some out or just let it be?
is this a serious question? its so simple to just drain it to the appropriate level

Last edited by xjoffroad; 05-17-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

drain some out, you don't want to blow out oil seals.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

it means if you have oil leaks then you won't have to check it for a longer period of time
Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

yes this is a serious question, i mean she dont use any oil and runs like a champ. the only reason im asking is because my buddy said it would be fine and he works at a quick lube where they change your oil and such.....i mean if it wont hurt then i dont wanna take it out
Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

You never want to over fill with oil. Tends to cause leaks. Drain some out, and fill to between the marks on the stick. 1/2 - 1 quart too much oil can cause more damage than being the same amount under full.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If the oil level is too hight, the crank can whip the oil into an oil marang. The oil pump can not pump marang, the bearings will be oil starved. Drain it to the proper oil level.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

how many quarts did you fill with?

the 4.0 takes 6...

an easy way to get oil out is to just unscrew the filter (with the engine OFF!) and dump the contents of the filter out. should remove about a half quart. then put the filter back on, run the engine and check your oil level...repeat if needed.

if you try to remove the drain plug to drain the oil you may mess up and drain to much out.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by N20jeep
how many quarts did you fill with?
Seriously, how did you start this thread without telling us how much you put in? Those dip sticks can be unreliable to be honest about it, and it'd help us a whole bunch if we knew how much you put in. Also, did you change the filter at the same time? That makes a difference too. Hopefully, you kept track of how much you put in. Part of me wants to call BS on this thread and think you're just goofing on us.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

LOL^^^^
Old 05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by robertj
Seriously, how did you start this thread without telling us how much you put in? Those dip sticks can be unreliable to be honest about it, and it'd help us a whole bunch if we knew how much you put in. Also, did you change the filter at the same time? That makes a difference too. Hopefully, you kept track of how much you put in. Part of me wants to call BS on this thread and think you're just goofing on us.
hey man if you wanna be taken seriously, take other people's questions seriously. there are a lot of common issues that even good mechanics have never faced, so they have no experience with it. needless to say overfilling your oil is usually not one of them, but nevertheless...
the pressure in your bottom end needs to be able to relieve itself. overfilling it will make it hard for air to be down in there, so it will try to blow the seals off to get out.
the marks on your dipstick usually indicate the maximum amount of oil that can exist and still be able to relieve that pressure. also, extra oil drenches the crank and rubs horsepower.
low oil level will not be able to lubricate the crank and can starve the oil pump.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

yes this is a serious question, i mean she dont use any oil and runs like a champ. the only reason im asking is because my buddy said it would be fine and he works at a quick lube where they change your oil and such.....i mean if it wont hurt then i dont wanna take it out
There you have it. I'm sorry but these places don't know what they are doing. I would never trust them with my cars. Either they forget to screw the oil plug or the filter, or they put oil without checking if it's fine. I don't care what people say, but a proper oil change won't take 10 minutes, even with a pit.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bimmer_2002
There you have it. I'm sorry but these places don't know what they are doing. I would never trust them with my cars. Either they forget to screw the oil plug or the filter, or they put oil without checking if it's fine. I don't care what people say, but a proper oil change won't take 10 minutes, even with a pit.
this is a reliable person, i know most all the people who work there and the owner.....but anyway guys i only put 5 quarts in there so its gonna be fine, also.....no need to be rude about a simple question
Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 PM

.....no need to be rude about a simple question
I agree, I dont know where the hostility came from...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered Users

this is a reliable person, i know most all the people who work there and the owner.....but anyway guys i only put 5 quarts in there so its gonna be fine, also.....no need to be rude about a simple question
It takes 6. But i do agree on the rudeness thing. Especially one member in particular that seems to be rude every post he makes. There is a thread on rudeness and maybe we need to go back and read it again.

Quick Reply: changed the oil, may have made a mistake