Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CB radio stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default CB radio stuff

idk if i just missed it but it doesnt seem like theres much on cbs in here, im looking at getting one so i tried looking info up in here but couldnt really find much. im thinkin a cobra glx 29 or something similar to it, nothing super cheap but not more than $65-70 ish. for you guys that have them, how much do you really use them? is it really worth having them? any info and comments would be helpful, thanks guys.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

I have one set up for my rig but take the antenna and the mobile out of the rig when not being used... Ive heard minimal discussions about it here. I seem to be one of the idiots who likes to trail ride on my own or make my own pace.... They are still viable where cell phones wont work and they are great for the highway talking to the truckers and asking them if I can draft behind them to save a little fuel. They are great too for setting up camp where you and your wife would like some privacy and you have the group spaced out..
Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Since theres so many people on this thread and so many people that care, i got an update on my cb status. couple days ago, found a Cobra 29 ltd classic on ebay, used, $60 shipped. around the same time i found someone on craigslist that just said they got some cbs laying around, they just got back to me sayin one is a cobra 29 nw st, no mic or mount, $20, so im gonna pick that up if i can and sell one of them haha, we'll see which one i like better.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

I'm interested in this topic, too. I'm looking for a similar setup for an upcoming wheelin trip and many more after that. From what I've seen so far, you did pretty well with that Cobra 29. That seems to be regarded as a good solid unit for moderate uses like we're talking about. Nice find on the $20 craigslist unit!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

For everyday you wont get much use out of them. For trail riding on your own (not advised) it may be able to get you help if needed if you can get your signal out far enough. For trail riding in a group it is very handy to have. To communicate between members, relay info, spot.. etc.
Also, if you travel the highway alot it can be helpful if you dont mind weeding through the trucker BS.

I have always had one in my vehicles I grew up around them and figure would rather be safe than sorry.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have been thinking of getting a cb also... haven't shopped brands or anything. What are some of the decent name brands to look for if you all know of any? Where did you mount your cb? I was thinking of mounting mine in the center consol.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by U.A.V.jeep
Where did you mount your cb? I was thinking of mounting mine in the center consol.
Since you asked here is a pic of mine..
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

i have a cb in my xj and i love it it is totally worth it.. me and all my buddies have them and we are always in contact.. i have a uniden.. with a little wil roof magnet mounted and i love it.. all my vehicles will have a cb from now on.. i would suggest one to anyone
Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 288 Likes on 238 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

every jeep i've owned i've eventually put a CB in, because of many reasons, everyone has their preferences....
on the trail they're great, even if your cell phone has service its way faster and easier to mic up to someone in your pack if you need help

also when driving on the highway/expressway the truckers can be more help than you may think,
they can tell you about weather, crashes, road conditions, smokey bears (pigs) and other things (some but not all can do these)

i also like the look of a cb antenna attatched to the rig, no not a magnet roof mount an actual CB antenna that won't fall off when it hits a tree branch
here is my weekend ride and daily driver, run CB's on both
My brand of choice is mostly Cobra, and yes the Cobra 29 LTD is a good CB its one of my fav's.....
Name:  100_0056.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  98.2 KB
Name:  Picture 008.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  71.5 KB
Old 07-23-2009, 10:39 PM

Year: 1992

Every one of my rigs has had a cb in it right now Ive got a unidin pro 40 chan its about the size of prerunners if not a bit smaller cause my cobra was way to friggin big for this truck
Old 07-24-2009, 12:25 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

My friends & I have gotten out of CB and gotten our ham licenses. It just opens up a lot more freqs we can use. If you do your homework before trips, you can find out the freqs for local repeaters. Useful for tapping into to get recommendations on restaurants, directions, call for help, etc.

CB is okay, but we didn't like being limited to 40 channels. Ham gives us the same thing as CB, but with more frequencies (less crap to wade through!) and longer range. A fair trade-off just for doing a bit of homework.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 inline 6 HO

I have a cb, one of the first things i did, i went down to the local cb shop, picked up a cobra 19 ultra used but referbed and hand mount and mic. $34.99 with warrenty. and a finder mount $12. and a PA! $14

i also went down to flyin j truck stop, got 18ft of coax $16, got a 4ft firestick $23, and most important a spring $8 that gos in between the antenna and the mount, when i am off road it will bend down to my hood if a branch hits it lol, got some Velcro strips and mounted it up on my dash velcroed it so i can pull it off when needed, then last but not least when running your coax you want 18ft cause then you can run a standing wave meter through it and see if your losing power and you get better reception and dont coil it up, run it in loops from your fire wall to the front it helps alot for the coax to be spread apart, i manly use it with friends and off road, i also have a little uniden cb i got for $5 with mic and mount, bought a magnetic mount and a cigarette plug in so now i have a portable cb for my friends so when we are wheelin we can talk.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Default I agree

Originally Posted by Danian619
My friends & I have gotten out of CB and gotten our ham licenses. It just opens up a lot more freqs we can use. If you do your homework before trips, you can find out the freqs for local repeaters. Useful for tapping into to get recommendations on restaurants, directions, call for help, etc.

CB is okay, but we didn't like being limited to 40 channels. Ham gives us the same thing as CB, but with more frequencies (less crap to wade through!) and longer range. A fair trade-off just for doing a bit of homework.

I have a Yaesu dual band hooked up in my Jeep....

here is some pics

Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Seasoned Member

anyone have any idea which is better: fiberglass whips or simple metal antenna? i have both layin around, my dad had a big honda cruisin bike and when he bought it the guy gave him a bunch of CB stuff, so i have a couple of both. i kinda want a whip mounted from my bumper like That Jeep Guy's DD. btw, sweet sticker on the passenger side of your trail rig haha
Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

I ran a 102" fiberglass whip on my 82 Chevy truck.. it worked fine but the fiberglass doesnt bend nearly as easy as a metal whip would. I would have rather had a metal whip personally but I got the fiberglass for $0.01 from Radio shack, they were liquidating thier inventory.

Quick Reply: CB radio stuff