Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cat Back system for XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cat Back system for XJ

Hello,
Believe me, I know there are literally hundreds of posts about mufflers (and I've probably read most of them) but I can't find one specific to what I'm looking for.

It's time to replace my 01 xj's tailpipe, muffler and maybe cat and I'm looking for something that'll bring a little power and a lot of sound. I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not you should add 2.5" piping or a high flow cat but everyone has a different opinion.

I'm looking for something that idles nice and loud and keeps sound all the way up to highway speed. I've heard of people buying flowmaster and having it sound hardly louder than stock and sounding stock past crusing speed and I don't want to make that mistake. I don't want something obnoxious that will get me pulled over by nosy suburb cops, just something that lets people know I'm coming and turns heads. Can anyone suggest anything with a loud deep throaty sound that doesn't loose sound at higher rpm?

Thank you and happy holidays!
Old 07-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Glass pack is what we use to use on v8's. Cuts that raspy straight pipe sound down. Straight 6 deep raspy sound, I just can't picture it myself. Flowmaster super 44 has good reviews these days. Be interested in hearing it when you decide.

A lil story, The misses needed a new car after wreck. One day she drives up with this 83 mustang, hp302, 4 speed, posi rear, loud raspy sounding drag car. She said she fell in love as soon as she heard it and had to buy it, without me checking it out. Damn little rocket car, throw you *** back type of power. Turns out it had straight pipe off the headers that ended under seats. Yeh the exhaust fumes at stop lights was a bit overwhelming at times. Nice guy that I am, I secretly took her car for a new exhaust ran out to rear like it should for her birthday present. She took one listen to it and started tearing up, well I felt like an *** now. Got the tears stopped and went back to see what the muffler shop could do to save my butt. Dual 12' glasspacks saved my butt. 22 years together still, so it worked.

Last edited by Oswalla; 07-03-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Flowmasters are cheap, but they make a 4.0L sound like a lawnmower. If you want a deep rumble, look at Banks or Gibson.

I have a Gibson cat-back on mine and love it. It doesn't wake the neighbors, but it'll surprise the guy next to you on the highway when you open it up.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Need a new muffler and tailpipe in my '00 with CA Emissions. Thinking I am just going to end up going Walker but I keep on kicking around the idea of a Borla. Part# 140071.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oswalla
Glass pack is what we use to use on v8's. Cuts that raspy straight pipe sound down. Straight 6 deep raspy sound, I just can't picture it myself. Flowmaster super 44 has good reviews these days. Be interested in hearing it when you decide.

A lil story, The misses needed a new car after wreck. One day she drives up with this 83 mustang, hp302, 4 speed, posi rear, loud raspy sounding drag car. She said she fell in love as soon as she heard it and had to buy it, without me checking it out. Damn little rocket car, throw you *** back type of power. Turns out it had straight pipe off the headers that ended under seats. Yeh the exhaust fumes at stop lights was a bit overwhelming at times. Nice guy that I am, I secretly took her car for a new exhaust ran out to rear like it should for her birthday present. She took one listen to it and started tearing up, well I felt like an *** now. Got the tears stopped and went back to see what the muffler shop could do to save my butt. Dual 12' glasspacks saved my butt. 22 years together still, so it worked.
lol good story, the glasspack is definitely the closest thing to straight pipe. love the sound of glasspacks on v8s and classic muscle but not sure about what it would sound like on a l6, definitely loud, I have to look into it more. I actually ordered the super 44 and a 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipe from performance curve but the seller canceled my order for no reason and then I read a few posts about the 44 not being much louder than stock or not at all after a certain range so I'm skeptical.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Folks, it's a straight six... if you're looking for a throaty rumble it ain't gonna happen.

Every 4 liter that I've ever heard sounded marginal at best and obnoxious at worst.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Liter

I am going to agree and say that the I6 won't ever sound like a big v8, but with that being said, if you want pretty loud, and dont mind a bit of drone, I bought a glasspack for super cheap one day, i think like 35$ at autozone, and hacked off my old exhaust right in between the muffler and catback and installed that, then let it dump right after that with no tailpipe, and I personally like the way it sounds. It has a good idle sounds, and is pretty loud when you get up in the rpm's.

Note: this drones... It isnt unbearable if you like a loud exhaust, but if you plan on a lot of freeway driving it gets annoying. I have thouroghly enjoyed this setup for a year now, but its about time for me to put a full catback setup on to quiet it down.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get on youtube search jeep 4.0 and whatever brand muffler you like.You will find a ton of sound clips from idle to wot.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:09 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Flowmasters are cheap, but they make a 4.0L sound like a lawnmower. If you want a deep rumble, look at Banks or Gibson.

I have a Gibson cat-back on mine and love it. It doesn't wake the neighbors, but it'll surprise the guy next to you on the highway when you open it up.
I'm glad you posted this. I have been thinking of going with the Gibson setup. This may have just made up my mind...I got their SS ceramic coated header when I did the stroker, and am quite happy with it. The quality of it was top-notch.

Originally Posted by ctrick98
I am going to agree and say that the I6 won't ever sound like a big v8, but with that being said, if you want pretty loud, and dont mind a bit of drone, I bought a glasspack for super cheap one day, i think like 35$ at autozone, and hacked off my old exhaust right in between the muffler and catback and installed that, then let it dump right after that with no tailpipe, and I personally like the way it sounds. It has a good idle sounds, and is pretty loud when you get up in the rpm's.

Note: this drones... It isnt unbearable if you like a loud exhaust, but if you plan on a lot of freeway driving it gets annoying. I have thouroghly enjoyed this setup for a year now, but its about time for me to put a full catback setup on to quiet it down.
I, too, did this. I personally liked the sound. I don't do a lot of highway driving, but the drone isn't unbearable at those speeds. I do have one complaint, however...but not the fault of the setup, the glasspack/pipe took some damage somewhere along the line, and started to have this annoying rattle/whistling sound. Drove me nuts trying to find it, the noise is hard to describe, and it only happened at certain RPM's, started around 2200, and went away around 2600. Finally figured it out after removing the exhaust to do some work. I have since ditched that setup, and have it straight-piped after the cat, for the moment. It is loud, obnoxious, and I kinda like it, LOL....but it's too much on the street.

Looks like I have another part to buy...thanks shaky, haha!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

We have a Magnaflow and it sounds the best.
Banks on another and it also sounds good.
Gibson also sounds good.
Yes the are expensive but you get what you paid for. SS, bolt on, pre-bent, good looking tip, easy install.

On race jeep we have a straight thru 18" muffler and it is loud and obnoxious, but 'BecauseRaceJeep'.

Flowmaster was on one of the XJs before and it sounded the worse.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice
Folks, it's a straight six... if you're looking for a throaty rumble it ain't gonna happen.

Every 4 liter that I've ever heard sounded marginal at best and obnoxious at worst.

Just my opinion of course.
just running up your post count?

Last edited by Adam Scalise; 07-04-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Open headers. Exhaust systems are for the woman folk.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
We have a Magnaflow and it sounds the best.
Would you happen to know off hand the part number of your magnaflow?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

#15856 or #15859 IDK what is the difference
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=15856
Straight thru muffler, straight exit out the back passenger side

Last edited by CobraMarty; 07-04-2016 at 10:45 AM.