Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Car seat and XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Car seat and XJ

Hey guys. I am having my first kid in a few weeks and trying to prep my XJ for it. I am not familiar at all with car seats or kids haha. I know on newer cars, like my 2017 Lexus, it has some provision in the back seat (very straight forward install) for the car seat but my XJ does not. I have seen pictures of what looks like a seat belt that goes from the car seat to somewhere near the top of the rear hatch. Is this something that I need? Factory Jeep option or aftermarket? Does the car seat just get tied down with the center lap belt? Is it better to put the seat on one of the sides so that it uses the shoulder belt? Any pictures of your baby haulers that you can post for me? Any help would be great! Thank you in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Doomsdaykitten (11-14-2022)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Hey guys. I am having my first kid in a few weeks and trying to prep my XJ for it. I am not familiar at all with car seats or kids haha. I know on newer cars, like my 2017 Lexus, it has some provision in the back seat (very straight forward install) for the car seat but my XJ does not. I have seen pictures of what looks like a seat belt that goes from the car seat to somewhere near the top of the rear hatch. Is this something that I need? Factory Jeep option or aftermarket? Does the car seat just get tied down with the center lap belt? Is it better to put the seat on one of the sides so that it uses the shoulder belt? Any pictures of your baby haulers that you can post for me? Any help would be great! Thank you in advance.
For the first few months you'll want the type of car seat that has a base part and sort of looks like a picnic basket. You can secure the base part in the XJ with just the seatbelt. It's likely the XJ doesn't have the anchor points (my 00 TJ didn't have them either), but I actually find the seat belt to work better anyway. Just put your body weight on the base and pull the seatbelt as tight as possible. You'll know it's solid when it doesn't move when you lightly pull/push on it.

After the first few months you'll move on to a rear facing car seat. You have to keep the kid rear facing until they are at least 2, but my wife insists that you should keep them rear facing as long as possible. It's safer to have them rear-facing.
The seat I have for my daughter (she's 2) has a super heavy base and the seat part opens up for you to put the seatbelt through. It works really well and requires you to practically climb into the seat to push it into place. It's a super nice seat (Britax) and only requires the seatbelt for rear facing.

Once the kid is over 2 and you want to move to forward facing, there is a clip and strap at the top. On my Toyota there is an anchor point for it, but in the XJ I just leave it loose for my step-son (he's 4.5 and forward facing) and it's been fine. I don't know if there's an "official" anchor point, but you can use anything in the cargo area that keeps the top of the seat from coming forward. So if you have cargo straps, those would work, or you can add something if you want.

One thing that you may run into (as I did in my 95) is that the XJ's rear seats are super squishy. This makes it hard to install the car seats. You can overcome this by putting a board down, either directly under the car seat or under the folding seat. Another tactic my Dad uses is to take a towel and roll it up to angle the seat in the right way (in his Tacoma).

I always put the seats all the way to each side. I've never used the center seat.

In short - the key to car seats (in any car) is getting the strap (be it the seat belt or the included strap) as tight as possible.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Pat - Thank you for the info! Definately helps. I do know about the rear facing for 2 years, front facing after that and something stupid (probably CA only law) that says no car seat/booster required after 4'8" tall. Thats like 10 years from now...

Ok so it sounds like I really dont have to worry about the top strap until the seat gets flipped around. Thats good. And you vote for using a side seat over the center one. Got it.

Yes, my seats are very soft like most other XJs. I can get a piece of wood or something, maybe thick plastic, to put below the seat. I thought I also heard that the base of the car seat needs to be at a specific angle? More towards being as flat as possible.

Here is the picture I saw of someone else using the strap thing for the forward facing seat for reference.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PatHenry
You have to keep the kid rear facing until they are at least 2, but my wife insists that you should keep them rear facing as long as possible.
What? Me and my brothers weren't even using a car seat when we where 2 LOL.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 00t444e
What? Me and my brothers weren't even using a car seat when we where 2 LOL.
now we know what happened......
Old 07-30-2018, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Martlor13
now we know what happened......
Yea we turned out alright I think.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:48 AM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998

I've got a 5-month-old and schlep her around in the XJ all the time. I use a Chicco Key Fit 30 seat, and it comes with a base that you belt into the car and leave there. It also pops into the stroller, which is really handy. The base has a level adjuster so you can get the angle correct regardless of your seat slope. There's even a little bubble level on the base. In any case, I secure the base with the lap portion of the shoulder belt. Like Pat said, just push down on the base to compress the seat a bit, then cinch down the belt, and you're all set. Here's my setup:

Last edited by IJM; 07-31-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by IJM
I've got a 5-month-old and schlep her around in the XJ all the time. I use a Chicco Key Fit 30 seat, and it comes with a base that you belt into the car and leave there. It also pops into the stroller, which is really handy. The base has a level adjuster so you can get the angle correct regardless of your seat slope. There's even a little bubble level on the base. In any case, I secure the base with the lap portion of the shoulder belt. Like Pad said, just push down on the base to compress the seat a bit, then cinch down the belt, and you're all set. Here's my setup:

Yep -- Seriously, you want the base style as pictured as long as you can. It's SOOOOO nice being able to just pop the whole seat out of the vehicle - and doubly nice if you have the matching stroller.

If you have ANY questions or trouble with the car seat, or even if you're unsure that it's correct - you can stop by your local fire station and they are trained and certified to properly install and check the car seat. Also be aware that you may have benefits in your health insurance to get free or discounted car seats - it's worth checking anyway.

I also remember being a little kid and not having any of this fancy car seat stuff - riding around in my parents' 84 Tercel with the vinyl seats. Nowadays it's absurd with the laws, etc. as 5-spd mentions kids up to 4 feet tall requiring booster seats.... We're on the verge of having to switch the boy (4.5) to the booster style seat that uses the shoulder strap over the top. He's over 36" and just about at the point where his shoulders are even with the highest strap. I can't wait to not have to deal with the 5-point harness ("Can you let me out?!?" .5s after arriving at the destination) for him.

On a side note - start squirreling some $$ for Jeep stuff away now before you start having to buy diaps and wipes and formula (if not strictly breastfeeding - let me know if you want my wife to sell Mommy on the benefits of breastfeeding. We didn't use a drop of formula and it saved us a ton of money).

Also I meant to say Congratulations!! Being a parent is a lot of work, but it's really awesome and worth the time, money, frustration and lack of sleep.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Hey.. for added locked-downess.. get yourself a "Care seat locking clip".

You slip the seatbelt straps into this clip and it LOCKS the belts down. Not allowing them to retract or loosen for any reason at all.
I used them to secure the baby seats for my five children.. and they are all still alive.

Also.. when you put the seat on.. kneel on the base... put your body weight onto it. Sinking it deep into the seat, before you click the seatbelt. This will ensure a solid, tight, immovable baby seat base.

Also Also.. watch your babies head on the rare occasion you take her out of her seat while its still in the car. I can't TELL you how many times I bonked my first daughters head against backs of seats, door jambs.. etc, while extracting her from the vehicle. heh.. I learned..and didn't repeat that embarrassment with my other children.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by IJM
I've got a 5-month-old and schlep her around in the XJ all the time. I use a Chicco Key Fit 30 seat, and it comes with a base that you belt into the car and leave there. It also pops into the stroller, which is really handy. The base has a level adjuster so you can get the angle correct regardless of your seat slope. There's even a little bubble level on the base. In any case, I secure the base with the lap portion of the shoulder belt. Like Pad said, just push down on the base to compress the seat a bit, then cinch down the belt, and you're all set. Here's my setup:
Thank you for the picture! That is exactly what I was looking for. I like the setup you have.

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Yep -- Seriously, you want the base style as pictured as long as you can. It's SOOOOO nice being able to just pop the whole seat out of the vehicle - and doubly nice if you have the matching stroller.

If you have ANY questions or trouble with the car seat, or even if you're unsure that it's correct - you can stop by your local fire station and they are trained and certified to properly install and check the car seat. Also be aware that you may have benefits in your health insurance to get free or discounted car seats - it's worth checking anyway.

I also remember being a little kid and not having any of this fancy car seat stuff - riding around in my parents' 84 Tercel with the vinyl seats. Nowadays it's absurd with the laws, etc. as 5-spd mentions kids up to 4 feet tall requiring booster seats.... We're on the verge of having to switch the boy (4.5) to the booster style seat that uses the shoulder strap over the top. He's over 36" and just about at the point where his shoulders are even with the highest strap. I can't wait to not have to deal with the 5-point harness ("Can you let me out?!?" .5s after arriving at the destination) for him.

On a side note - start squirreling some $$ for Jeep stuff away now before you start having to buy diaps and wipes and formula (if not strictly breastfeeding - let me know if you want my wife to sell Mommy on the benefits of breastfeeding. We didn't use a drop of formula and it saved us a ton of money).

Also I meant to say Congratulations!! Being a parent is a lot of work, but it's really awesome and worth the time, money, frustration and lack of sleep.
The car seat I have has the base like IJM posted. The seat works with our stroller too. I will have to check and see what brand it is. Was a present from the sister in-law.

I did hear that the fire stations do the car seat check as well as AAA but you have to make an appointment first for either. You cant just walk in. No big deal.

And yes, no formula over here. Why waste money when we can feed the kid for free?

Nah I dont think I need to stash away any money for the Jeep. Its pretty much done for now and has been very reliable. Plus I just got rid of a big car payment. So I should be able to save a good amount of money each month and have Jeep funds if needed. I also have 2 other vehicles I need to get rid of. Financially, I think I am ready. Mentally, still not sure haha.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by outersketcher
Hey.. for added locked-downess.. get yourself a "Care seat locking clip".

You slip the seatbelt straps into this clip and it LOCKS the belts down. Not allowing them to retract or loosen for any reason at all.
I used them to secure the baby seats for my five children.. and they are all still alive.

Also.. when you put the seat on.. kneel on the base... put your body weight onto it. Sinking it deep into the seat, before you click the seatbelt. This will ensure a solid, tight, immovable baby seat base.

Also Also.. watch your babies head on the rare occasion you take her out of her seat while its still in the car. I can't TELL you how many times I bonked my first daughters head against backs of seats, door jambs.. etc, while extracting her from the vehicle. heh.. I learned..and didn't repeat that embarrassment with my other children.
Awesome, I will get a couple of those!

Isnt knocking your kids head on something you are supposed to do? My parents did it to me. Shoot, they even let me fall out of their lifted 4-runner which resulted in a face plant when I was around 2. I thought it helped knock some sense into them?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Mentally, still not sure haha.
You'll be fine.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998

That metal locking tab pictured above should be included in most, if not all, car seats. It may be loose in the box or, hidden within the car seat itself.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Tyler is right.. You should already have one snapped into a clip in the back or underside of your car seat.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

I will take a look tonight. Just got 2 extra seat bases in the mail over the weekend but havent opened them up. Tonight I should have time to attempt to mount the base in the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Car seat and XJ