Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cant get xj to start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Cant get xj to start.

Hey everyone!

I know this prob has been covered before and sorry if it has. I searched but could not find much. its late and I have to be up in 4 hours to go to work, but I cant get my Cherokee to start.
I was trying to get my Hella Fog lights to come on when I pulled on a wire to the switch I created a short that blew out the radio fuse. So I replaced it and the radio will come on. But since that incident (fog lights still not working) the jeep refuses to start. You turn the key and nothing happens. kinda like when you dont have the clutch pressed down.

I checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood. They are all fine. I used a metal object to try and cross the solenoid on the starter with the key on and it sparked abit but never started or acted like it would. I dont know if I made a good enough connection or not though. I would try to push start it and see if I can start it that way but I dont have anyone to help push it.

I think it maybe the clutch safety switch but it was diconnected when I bought it. I looked for a neutral safety switch but I didnt know if the sticks came with one.

any help at all would be awesome. I tried to list every thing I checked and did cause i got to get some sleep before work in the morning and hope I can get there some how.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 AM

Im about to try and push start it. What is the best gear to have it in? Ive heard Second gear works better for some reason...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 AM

After working on in this morning some more (I couldnt wake anyone to help me push it) I crossed the solenoid a couple more times but It did nothing just as before. Then my screw driver slipped and hit the starter. when I crossed the solenoid again it went to turn over but only for a second. I tried again and I started to smell it getting hot. So I hit the starter a few times and BAM! it fired right up!
I guess what ever I did when I blew those fuses tracing down the fog light short must have caused it to partly activate the solenoid just enough to lock up the starter.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Good luck man, I don't have much advice. sounds like your solenoid got "confused" The only thing I hate more than electrical problems is front end issues.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 AM

lol I guess so... Im just glad it started... Now im off to work... Im gonna be late but atleast I'll make it...

After working on it this morning with frost on the ground then not having hot water for my shower I hope the day doesn't get much worse.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Best way to check if you have a starting circuit problem is with a volt meter. Connect positive to solenoid terminal and negative to ground. You should read battery voltage.

Hitting the starter and then it starts, may indicate wear inside. Solenoid contacts, bearings, brushes,etc. Often times it is the solenoid contacts. Very inexpensive to repair. You can do this yourself.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM

I will do that when I get home if I can find my volt meter. I think it was just the short in some wires sent a surge to the solenoid and caused the gear to get hung up in the flywheel.
I know now not to have the key on listenin to the radio while tracing a short... :fail:
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Report back if you figure it out. Never seen that happen before.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Report back if you figure it out. Never seen that happen before.
Cant find my voltmeter any where... but im almost 100% sure it was the short I caused trying to find why my fog lights werent working. (Its almost a mess under the dash from the PO)
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 242cid

My Jeep had some starter problems also, but it would usually work after giving it a good wack, after replacing the solenoid it still did the same thing, so i got a new starter and now it works great. didn't have any fog light problems tho
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 AM

I'm beginning to think they are totally unrelated now. It did it again to me while I was at steak and shake on lunch. (did you know they have $3.99 lunch combo's!) Everyone watched me get out, open the back lift gate, pull out my hammer and screw driver, crawl under whack it a few good times, then crawl out and lean over into the engine bay and cross the solenoid. lol... I thought wow if I still had the Enclave I would have had to be towed, cause that would have never worked....

Why didnt I buy an XJ sooner? lol...
Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6

May have just been a coincidence.... how long has it been since you replaced your starter? I once carried around a golf club to knock the solenoid on the starter because it would frequently stick... eventually it got to the point that I had to knock the starter everytime I started the Jeep... consider replacing your starter at your earliest convenience.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM

oh... and you dont have to climb under it to knock it. If you have a long enough stick (like I said I used a golf club), then all you need to do is pop the hood.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 AM

Yea I get one soon. I just hope this one will last me until December.

I was just waiting for the cops to pull up thinking I was stealing my own truck... lol... Would not have surprised me...
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Not to mention its pretty embarassing too... I had to knock on it while I was on a date once... never lived that one down... even after it was fixed the girl never trusted my Jeep.