Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can't delete trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Can't delete trouble codes

Hi everyone hopefully someone has experienced this problem and knows how to fix it. I have a 1999 Cherokee upgraded to the coil on ignition. Well yesterday I decided to clean my engine with degreaser and power washed it all off, I left the car wash went home and all was fine. Later that day I started it up and it was running rough idling kind of high, the transmission was shifting very high and it wouldn't go into overdrive or 4th gear. I went to autozone they read the codes and it showed the tps sensor having high voltage and a P0700 code along with the 1st bank 2nd o2 sensor. I replaced the tps sensor and when they went to clear the codes they wouldn't go away and I am still having the same problem. Then I also noticed my cruise control stopped working, the light comes on on my dash but it won't operate. I've checked the fuses for the 02 sensors, unhooked the battery and touched the terminals together, checked the main ground on the firewall and still haven't had any luck. My horn works and there is no airbag light lit on the dash.

Last edited by Jparsonschrkee; 11-29-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added jeep year
Old 11-29-2015, 05:17 PM

I've been researching on here and have seen mentions about a clock spring possibly being the culprit but I'd like to get some opinions before I go and buy another part that I may not need.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:25 PM

i used a multimeter and checked out the harness for the tps sensor, ground is good it shows 12 volts, one shows 4.5volts and the other shows 5volts.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Year: 60th Anniversary
Engine: 4.6

Power washing an engine bay has never ended in a cleaner engine in my personal experience. I used to work at a used car dealership where they thought this was appropriate and I had to replace a lot of fuse boxes since there was water still sitting in it. I would personally go through with a fine tooth comb over everything you sprayed or could have gotten sprayed. Double check them and their fuses. Start with one issue and diagnose it.