Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

can you paint in-between leaves in a leaf pack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H/O
Default can you paint in-between leaves in a leaf pack?

i might have asked this before, and ive seen on google that people do paint thier leaf springs, but their all street machines and dont see mud, sand, water and all the grime of offroading...is it a good idea to take apart a leaf pack and paint all the leaves independently? i have enamel spring paint, and i would put some anti-friction pads in...any thoughts on doing this?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You can do it, if you want to spend the time but it will rub off.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

I just hit mine with a wire brush, satin black rustolem when they start to look bad. I don't take them apart.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Registered Users

why? if it gets wheeled the paint will flack off. I guess its a pavement princess that you want to look good.......
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I took my leafs apart to add some s-10 leafs to the pack I painted them individually. I used some por 15 and it seems to be holding up. My old leafs had rusted enough for both overload springs to crack in half. I will have to check it before winter but Im sure it wont last long, it was more of an experiment. Any rust combatant here is appreciated.

If your u bolts are original you may want to replace them with new ones. They stretch and become fatigued with time.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by trs80
When I took my leafs apart to add some s-10 leafs to the pack I painted them individually. I used some por 15 and it seems to be holding up. My old leafs had rusted enough for both overload springs to crack in half. I will have to check it before winter but Im sure it wont last long, it was more of an experiment. Any rust combatant here is appreciated.

If your u bolts are original you may want to replace them with new ones. They stretch and become fatigued with time.
Good point, For that matter they are never supposed to be reused anytime.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
You can do it, if you want to spend the time but it will rub off.
if most of it stays on, ill be happy

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
I just hit mine with a wire brush, satin black rustolem when they start to look bad. I don't take them apart.
i think ill paint them while i have them apart...

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
why? if it gets wheeled the paint will flack off. I guess its a pavement princess that you want to look good.......
again...i have enamel spring paint...designed for springs, its got flex agent in it....and incase you havent seen any of my pics, i clearly wheel it even though its stock. i didnt buy this jeep for $500 from some person who doesnt know anything, my grandfather had it since it was new, and it was his favoriate vehicle hes had, so i want it to be done right, and when its done right, it last...so im putting some time into it. i dont mine taking an extra couple hours...because i needed to replace the centering bolts anyway, so while they are apart, i might as well make them look good and repel rust.

Originally Posted by trs80

yea, after seeing the lift i bought for $150 rust after only 5 years, im willing to combat rust as much as i can... its not fun. ill see how long it will last.

the u bolts ill be putting on with the lift are 5 years old, only used once...i think i should be able to get away with them, for alittle bit atleast. when i get the shackles i want ill replace the u bolts.

thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 PM

oh and yes, it is a pavement princess on week days because its my only way to my work which is an hour each way...