Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can you help me with PCV valve, Vacuum Harness And stuck in 4wd Hi

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Can you help me with PCV valve, Vacuum Harness And stuck in 4wd Hi

Hello i got a 87 jeep Cherokee Chief about a month back and im trying to solve the problems so i can daily drive it.

The first problem was it felt like it was cutting fuel at 2,500 rpm's after alot of reading online and me checking the air filter, it is sucking oil from the valve cover......I would normally check the air filter first but a box for a new air filter was sitting in the passenger seat and he told me it was a new one.
Some pics to help see what im seeing

the jeep and his buddy a mk3 supra with a blown head gasket

Pretty sure this is the problem it just slides out with no effort.....

the harness is covered in oil on the right side

new oil filter is wet with oil

inside of the airbox is wet with oil

small puddle of oil in the bottom of the airbox

My question is where can i find this vacuum harness, if i type in vacuum harness XJ i find a ton of them if i type in vacuum harness 1987 jeep cherokee i find nothing.

looking at this PCV VALVE but its says its for the 2.5, and im pretty sure mine is the i6 4.0 does anyone have any insights of a better one? Honestly i just want to buy the valve and the harness and air fillter all from the same spot thats what i really want to find......
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=CV795C&x=0&y=0

Thank you for your help also any help with the 4wd stuck in High would be amazing
I have done a transfer case flush
I have done the slow roll in reverse about 25 times
I have done the turn hard in a slow roll in reverse and still wouldn't pop into rwd
any other ideas before i rebuild or just buy a new transfer case.
If i do have to buy a new transfer case do i need the whole case or just the front/or back half?
How do you feel about transfer case rebuilds?
Is there other transfer cases that fit on the 87?
Again thank you for all of ur time
wil

Last edited by Carfan86; 06-02-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

How do you know it's in 4wd? Have you jacked up the front end and tried to turn the front driveshaft? We can't tell you if there's a better or worse transfercase without telling us which you have. Does it have 4wd part time and full time or just part time? How is the fuel pressure on the rail? Does it only cut out under load or revving it too? There are a lot of details left out.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

The blow by in the air filter is normal your pcv is working properly from what I can tell . You can do a catch can set up if it bothers you . Just need to keep an eye on your oil level because it is burning oil . Crawl underneath and disconnect the transfer cases linkage and see if you can put it in 2high by hand . What you're describing could very well be a misfire that presents itself under a load at 2500 rpms and due to the fact it's burning oil it could be time to do a compression check and if ok replace the plugs and any other maintenance ignition components you can afford such as wires and cap and rotor . I could be off base diagnosing over the Internet is a shot in the dark . How I describe a problem can be totally different from how YOU describe a problem .
Old 06-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
Does it only cut out under load or revving it too? .
it cuts out when revving also, Also i turned the air filter around and it worked fine for about 15min then the problem came right back....spiter sputter sometimes dies sometimes just idles like junk around 800-1400 then sputters out if i rev to 2500-3k again

still trying to source all valve cover grommets, elbows, and vacuum harness. Nothing i find clearly states its for my jeep with the 4.0 they all say they are for the 2.5 or the 97+

Iam about to buy all the parts for a 97 4.0 xj and just see if it works idk. And i will try more of the 4hi problems once i fix this engine cut problem
Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Carfan86
it cuts out when revving also, Also i turned the air filter around and it worked fine for about 15min then the problem came right back....spiter sputter sometimes dies sometimes just idles like junk around 800-1400 then sputters out if i rev to 2500-3k again

still trying to source all valve cover grommets, elbows, and vacuum harness. Nothing i find clearly states its for my jeep with the 4.0 they all say they are for the 2.5 or the 97+

Iam about to buy all the parts for a 97 4.0 xj and just see if it works idk. And i will try more of the 4hi problems once i fix this engine cut problem
Well if the oil soaking the filter is the problem make a catch can to keep the oil off the filter and then just pour the oil back in the engine when it fills up.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 PM

I like the idea of a oil catch can, but i also want to solve the problem and not have old parts that are not functioning properly if i can avoid it

http://www.morris4x4center.com/valve...-53004721.html
rear ccv grommet

http://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar...-53030497.html
front elbow

http://www.morris4x4center.com/crown...-53010424.html
front grommet

http://www.morris4x4center.com/crown...-53004379.html
vacuum harness

Do you guys think the parts listed will work or am i looking at something wrong?
Old 06-02-2017, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

They're functioning correctly, but the problem is the engine is old and tired causing blow by.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
They're functioning correctly, but the problem is the engine is old and tired causing blow by.
so to fix the blow by ur talking a rebuild or the bandaid of an oil catch can? If im wrong please tell me i have no problem being wrong. But i dont want to chase alot of small problems if its just time to band-aid it until i can pull it all apart and rebuild
Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

so to fix the blow by ur talking a rebuild or the bandaid of an oil catch can? If im wrong please tell me i have no problem being wrong. But i dont want to chase alot of small problems if its just time to band-aid it until i can pull it all apart and rebuild
I mean I can't say for certain without actually seeing the jeep and knowing exactly what it is doing. I believe based off of what you described that is the case. The engine is just blowing oil out and you can catch it for now and then eventually rebuild to fix blow by or swap in lower mile engine.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 PM

I've seen far worse blow by from what your pictures show it's far from condemning the engine . I've had trucks come in with the whole bottom half of the air filter soaked in oil and oil standing half an inch tall in the cleaner assembly . It's clear that you're having a hard time making sense of our help and I think you might be miles ahead to find yourself a helper with a bit more mechanical knowledge. A relative or friend maybe? These jeeps are very simple if you've been around a vehicle much .
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 PM

First Thanks for the help

second, i get what ur saying, maybe a tune up will stop the sputtering and back fire, thing is i want to actually find the problem not just do a simple plug,wire, cap tune up sure i will do all that, but i also know oil isent supposed to be in the air box on any car and plugs and wires will not stop that problem and to me that seams like a problem worth addressing. If that single problem of oil in the air box is due to blow by from my understanding rings or valves? correct me if im wrong on that. then a band-aid fix of a catch can makes sense till i can tear it down and do new rings or a send the head off for a valve job. Also that filter went from new to how it looks just sitting there idling for 20-30min then a drive around the block. I guess im just not ok with oil being sucked into places it shouldent be.....maybe im just really new to jeeps and its ok for their air filters and boxes to get oil in them but that doesnt make much seance to me. I only have 450$ invested into this jeep so im really not to worried about what ever direction i go with it, even if thats reselling it as is

a mod can lock this thread i can tell its just going in circles now
thanks for the help and the ideas to check on

Last edited by Carfan86; 06-02-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:06 PM

Hey you're fine we were however on two different pages . As I was saying before it's hard to communicate 100 percent of an issue on the internet. If you have that much blow by in that short of time then yes you have major issues . I wouldn't do anything until you've performed a compression check on each cylinder . I wouldn't touch anything else until after seeing those results . I'm more than glad to help as much as I can .
Old 06-03-2017, 08:27 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hello i got a 87 jeep Cherokee Chief about a month back and im trying to solve the problems so i can daily drive it.

The first problem was it felt like it was cutting fuel at 2,500 rpm's after alot of reading online and me checking the air filter, it is sucking oil from the valve cover......I would normally check the air filter first but a box for a new air filter was sitting in the passenger seat and he told me it was a new one.

My question is where can i find this vacuum harness, if i type in vacuum harness XJ i find a ton of them if i type in vacuum harness 1987 jeep cherokee i find nothing.

looking at this PCV VALVE but its says its for the 2.5, and im pretty sure mine is the i6 4.0 does anyone have any insights of a better one? Honestly i just want to buy the valve and the harness and air fillter all from the same spot thats what i really want to find......

Thank you for your help also any help with the 4wd stuck in High would be amazing
I have done the turn hard in a slow roll in reverse and still wouldn't pop into rwd
If i do have to buy a new transfer case do i need the whole case or just the front/or back half?
wil
Here are 3 links for you:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=131

http://cruiser54.com/?p=121

http://cruiser54.com/?p=117
Old 06-03-2017, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

wil
Try this...http://cruiser54.com/?p=131
Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Update for anyone that finds this thread and reads it all

I did the crusier54 mod and that stooped oil from getting on the air filter
(
)

I read somewhere Renix 4.0s have a Heat soak problem also so I wrapped the Fule rail in Heat tape. This seamed to help also but, I then was able to drive it long enough to relies once it gets to temp 2 fuel injectors are spraying out the fitting.... I will be driving fine then i get to temp and its a **** pile, I look in the bay and its spraying gas...

Ordered a set of Bosch 0280155746 and will be installing them some time around 15/jan/18. They are volvo 4 hole injectors and i did alot of reading/youtube and am fairly certain they are the best upgrade/swap for the cost 75$ shipping included off ebay for re-mans. I dont want to deal with a jy its 5 degrees out

other stuff i did that may helped or not if anyone els is chasing these same issues
took off and cleaned the IAC
took off and cleaned the Throttle body
just unhooked and sprayed random connections with eclectic connector cleaner

Pics coming soon
Thanks for the help/directions to look
This has been a fun vehicle to tinker with when i have the time
soon it will be on the road

Last edited by Carfan86; 01-12-2018 at 09:50 AM.