Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

can I disable overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default can I disable overdrive

I want to disable overdrive. Not by putting my jeep in 3rd. Its a 96 xj auto 4wd 4.0. My overdrive solenoid is going out and I want the jeep to ride like normal to anyone who dosent know that its not going into overdrive. I dont plan to sell her so Im not trying to decive anyone I just want it to drive normal ish.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

mine has a button on the shifter to enable/disable it.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by PatriotGT
mine has a button on the shifter to enable/disable it.
Well you have WJ, which is a completely different vehicle

I know a lot of guys on here have found ways to make our transmissions do what we want them to, I'm sure they will chime in soon
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I know as well as anyone the constraints of a tight budget but why not replace the transmission or the solenoid? Riding around in 3rd is going to increase your fuel consumption and rip money out of your pocket quickly. Likely going to be cheaper in the long run to fix the problem now rather than mask it.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Year: 1997

I think what he is asking is how he can manually put it in 4th gear, without locking the torque converter.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

No comment
Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slimgoaty
I think what he is asking is how he can manually put it in 4th gear, without locking the torque converter.
x2

Problems I see with it is higher rpms, higher fuel consumption, higher trans temps.
The solenoid is like 100 bucks and its like a 2hr job if you know what youre doing.
You should be able to put a switch inline on the +12v signal to the solenoid, to keep power from going to it. This will keep the TC from locking up. Being a 96, you will most likely get a CEL.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 AM

got the cel tonight on the way home.
trans shifts into over drive at low speeds and I only need to drive this around town at low speeds for now.

this is only a temp fix till I can afford a proper one and I would not know what I am doing in an auto tranny. Best I can do is swap in and out but I would probly need much help to do it seein as I dont have all the tools to do such an endevor anyway.

I just need to make this work for a week and then I plan to fix it right and 50 is the highest speed I would go and for only a mile at most.(one exit on the freeway that is a 55 speed limit with construction zone.) that would be 2500 rpms for a short amount of time so I dont think it would hurt the motor or much of anything else.

I have 179,000 miles on this tranny and I really dont think its got much more life in it. If I tear this apart and fix it and another solenoid goes out in a few thousand miles then Im back to square one so I dont really want to spend time and money and frustration fixing something that I will likely have to fix again in the near future.

It sounds like the switch on the signal to the solenoid is what I would need to do. If 89Laredo could elaborate a little on that I may be able to do something like that.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 AM
CF Veteran

What code is it?
Im not suggesting anything until a couple questions are answered.
Sounds to me like you might just need a TPS...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by rideordie66
got the cel tonight on the way home.
trans shifts into over drive at low speeds and I only need to drive this around town at low speeds for now.

this is only a temp fix till I can afford a proper one and I would not know what I am doing in an auto tranny. Best I can do is swap in and out but I would probly need much help to do it seein as I dont have all the tools to do such an endevor anyway.

I just need to make this work for a week and then I plan to fix it right and 50 is the highest speed I would go and for only a mile at most.(one exit on the freeway that is a 55 speed limit with construction zone.) that would be 2500 rpms for a short amount of time so I dont think it would hurt the motor or much of anything else.

I have 179,000 miles on this tranny and I really dont think its got much more life in it. If I tear this apart and fix it and another solenoid goes out in a few thousand miles then Im back to square one so I dont really want to spend time and money and frustration fixing something that I will likely have to fix again in the near future.

It sounds like the switch on the signal to the solenoid is what I would need to do. If 89Laredo could elaborate a little on that I may be able to do something like that.
Not recommending this AT ALL, but i push my 4 banger up to around 3500-4000 RPM's for around an hour solid every day. Just happens to be what it takes to turn them 31's to 80 Same power, same old noise as the day i bought it.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 AM

I dont know the code. I dont have an obd2 scaner to check it.

I replaced the tps a few months ago so it should be good. This is acting differnt from when that went out.

Yesterday I was trying to get my buddies obd2 scanner to link to my jeep and it would not compleat the connection. the scanner said that it was not able to communicate with the vehicle. I was trying to scan the jeep because it threw a check engin light a month back when this all started.

I then took the jeep to aamco to have them scan it and that was when the codes came out and they were able to compleat the scan. they did not give me the codes and told me to pay them a few hours of labor for them to bench test the solenoid. If the solenoid was good then the torque converter was the next likely culprit. They did tell me what the codes meant and that was It did have a misfire code in cil 1, a general misfire code, and a solenoid 3 code. The solenoid 3 code was hard to find and they told me that that code was not suppose to be thrown by my jeep because it was so early in the production of obd2 vehicles.

before you get all "you need to do a tune up you moron!" I plan to do that tomorow morning and hopefully get another scan done.

The current check engine light came on when I was 6 hours threw a 8 hour drive home. and thats where I am now.

If you really need the codes then tomorow we can meet again.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 AM

I did a cap, rotor and plugs and wires a year ago too.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 AM
CF Veteran

Ill write it up tomorrow, its almost 5.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 AM

Thanks lookin forward to it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

You really should just do the solenoid, its an easy job.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...no-56k-717206/

Solenoid 3 is the TC lockup solenoid, so I guess I feel OK telling you this.
Keep in mind Ive never done it before, Ive never had the need to, but there is no reason that it shouldnt work.
You want to pull your bottom dash panel off and unplug the tcu.
Find pin C14 in the TCU plug, it is marked on the diagram as a "WHT-T" or "White/Black" wire.
If you want to go the easy way, just clip this wire until you get the solenoid fixed.
A little harder would be to run both sides to a switch, this way if you want the TC to act stock, you just turn the switch on.
Name:  TCU.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  61.1 KB

Last edited by 89Laredo; 01-05-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: can I disable overdrive