Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

can the drums cause.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default can the drums cause.....

.....vibes if they are warped? I had this (insert curse word here) vibration type noise that is felt throughout the entire jeep and had it since i bought it. At highway speeds, it shakes the steering wheel and the seats like a fast shudder, similar to having out of balanced tires. At about 30-45 you can feel this type of whirring coming through the steering wheel and at your feet. I could not figure out wtf it was since i bought the jeep. Today i was feeling it at 45 and i thought about this thread i read over at jeepforum about warped drums so i yanked on the E-brake slowly and the shudder got so intense and shook the whole jeep. That made me think it has to be something related to the drums being warped or out of round. Think so?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

usually warped drums are only gonna give you an effect while braking, not just driving. sounds like tire balance, or maybe a bearing (whirring noise). but pulling the e brake and getting vibe is a good indication that the drums are warped, start there.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
usually warped drums are only gonna give you an effect while braking, not just driving. sounds like tire balance, or maybe a bearing (whirring noise). but pulling the e brake and getting vibe is a good indication that the drums are warped, start there.
Yeah i don't have that effect while braking unless i brake hard but the shudder i got when pulling the e-brake was the exact same shudder i was getting driving at 45, only more intense. It matched the same shudder at highway speeds too.

I was thinking tire-related since day one but i've been swapping tires front to back, left to right, and criss-crossing, using using my brand new spare at each corner but the shudder NEVER changes. It's always there at the same speeds. I am on the 3rd set of tires since i got it (stock, new trxus, another set of trxus) and the shudder was always there throughout these tires. I want to pull off the rear tires tmw and run it on jack stands to see if there's anything noticeable, like bent axle or something. Maybe the previous college chick owner ran curbs on a daily basis...i dunno.

Last edited by muddeprived; 08-25-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot

ya, sounds like you can rule out tire balance then. the only thing that changes when you pull the e brake would be in the drums. but you don't feel it when braking?? call an exorcist. sounds like you're on the right track, keep digging.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
ya, sounds like you can rule out tire balance then. the only thing that changes when you pull the e brake would be in the drums. but you don't feel it when braking?? call an exorcist. sounds like you're on the right track, keep digging.
normal braking like coming to a slow stop, no. If i slam on the brakes i feel it shudder. The shudder matches the vibe i feel during driving. It has to be drum related or maybe bent axle shaft. my front brakes are new if that matters.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 2.5L I-4

Warped rotors can have the same effect, but I'm sure you'd be able to tell if it were front or rear. New pads on warped rotors will definitely cause a nasty shake.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TrueBlueXJ
Warped rotors can have the same effect, but I'm sure you'd be able to tell if it were front or rear. New pads on warped rotors will definitely cause a nasty shake.
Yeah i'm pretty sure it's the rear. E-brake tells me that.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Try adjusting the brakes, meaning loosening them a little to see if that helps.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM

Year: 98

Had a vibration in rear end of jeep my right rear axle was bent all to h---
Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeepride
Had a vibration in rear end of jeep my right rear axle was bent all to h---
how'd you find the culprit?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 PM

Drove this jeep for 6 months went on a camping trip my buddys were following behind me when..we were stopped they told me my right rear wheel was wobbling.When I got back home we jacked jeep up by the diff and spun the wheel by hand you could see wheel woble back and forth removed wheel and spun the axle and it was bent.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeepride
Drove this jeep for 6 months went on a camping trip my buddys were following behind me when..we were stopped they told me my right rear wheel was wobbling.When I got back home we jacked jeep up by the diff and spun the wheel by hand you could see wheel woble back and forth removed wheel and spun the axle and it was bent.
was it an OBVIOUS wobble or slight one? How'd it happen?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 2.5L I-4

Have you pulled the drums? Could be a broken self-adjuster cable or something simple. Those flimsy braided cables can snap pretty easy after a few years of wear and tear. Could be a loose or faulty spring too, causing the shoe to pitch into the drum at an angle.

Just throwing out ideas here. Hopefully it's NOT a bent axle shaft, but that's a good possibility.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 AM

I could feel a slight vibration it was more of a seat of the pants vib than a steering vib if you know what I'm trying say.As far as how it happend I don't know PO could have slid around on wet pavement an hit a curb or possible hit a really big pot hole apparently the axle was already bent when I bought this jeep.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by TrueBlueXJ
Have you pulled the drums? Could be a broken self-adjuster cable or something simple. Those flimsy braided cables can snap pretty easy after a few years of wear and tear. Could be a loose or faulty spring too, causing the shoe to pitch into the drum at an angle.

Just throwing out ideas here. Hopefully it's NOT a bent axle shaft, but that's a good possibility.
X2. Look at the back side of the backing plate and see if one of the pins broke. That'd cause a pretty good vibration.

Quick Reply: can the drums cause.....