Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can anyone explain why it went off.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default Can anyone explain why it went off.

Im at home sick , while I let my sister borrow my Jeep to drive while hers is being fixed. She just called me and said the passenger airbag just went off. I was like no way it should have but she said she hit a pothole going about 35mph. HOW IN THE WORLD DID IT DO THAT????
Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Must have been one heck of a pot hole!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

or she bumped something and the drivers side didnt go off...
Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

That is highly unusal for it to go off and the other one to not,It is unusal for it to go off from a pothole,maybe it was more than a pothole.
i would be concerned that the drivers side may go off when it decides to,I would have a shop look at it for you,it sounds like you have something defective.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:48 PM

She brought it to me now and I went out to take a look. I was supprised bc my front passenger side is mashed in. Its rubbing the tire. She lied to me, lets see how to do this the proper way.... SHES PAYING FOR EVERY FREAKING CENT, EVERY DENT EVERY SCRATCH. also i found out that she had her bf in there smoking. Im ok with smoking but as long as its not in my jeep... what should i do im to speechless.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GoreXJ95
She brought it to me now and I went out to take a look. I was supprised bc my front passenger side is mashed in. Its rubbing the tire. She lied to me, lets see how to do this the proper way.... SHES PAYING FOR EVERY FREAKING CENT, EVERY DENT EVERY SCRATCH. also i found out that she had her bf in there smoking. Im ok with smoking but as long as its not in my jeep... what should i do im to speechless.
Tell her that pot holes dont dent the bumper and I think you covered the rest, she pays for all the repairs.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Yea like why would she lie to me, I dont get it. I could careless now that i look at it. Jeeps can be replaced and the smell of smoke will eventually go away but a family member cant. All im glad for is that shes ok, EXCEPT FOR HER BOYFRIEND. Hes asking for an @$$ kicking if he dont shut up about how Jeeps sucks and how I should drive a real mans vehicle.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Yea like why would she lie to me, I dont get it. I could careless now that i look at it. Jeeps can be replaced and the smell of smoke will eventually go away but a family member cant. All im glad for is that shes ok, EXCEPT FOR HER BOYFRIEND. Hes asking for an @$$ kicking if he dont shut up about how Jeeps sucks and how I should drive a real mans vehicle.

LOL take him and his "real mans vehicle" out on the trail and get him nice and stuck then drive off laughing.

and yeah...at least tell the truth what happened. She should know it's a Jeep and can be fixed etc.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

What to do now? make her pay for the repairs, a can of air freshener to get the smoke smell out and NEVER let her have the keys again.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Im never letting her drive the Jeep again. Her boyfriend problem hes to scared to go off road he wants to race me.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

I read the story to my wife....She thinks the boyfriend was driving, maybe she lied to save his a$$. Maybe the boyfriend should pay!!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Im never letting her drive the Jeep again. Her boyfriend problem hes to scared to go off road he wants to race me.
What, is his "real man's car" a honda civic?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

race him offroad then. it's only fair.

look for someone parting out a jeep in your area. parts can be bought cheap.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

sue jeep , because there isnt just a passenger side airbag sensor , the driver side should went off as well , get your self a brand new wrangler for a DD lol then make her boyfreind pay you for f'n you cherokee up and build a sic woods rig, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM

Year: 1992

I used to have a nice 93 crown vic, used to. I had bought a nice town car to drive which I had planned on parking for the winter. Well the timing belt went out on his mitsu so he was driving the crown vic till he got wheels. A month later I got a 2 am call. Put it in the ditch and hit a tree. He was showin off to his buddies and forgot about the corner. Never got a dime for the car from him. Noone drives my stuff but me after that. Life lesson learned

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can anyone explain why it went off.