Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C Hose(s) Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default A/C Hose(s) Question

Well CF, My air conditioning never worked since I got my 96 XJ and I am finally getting around to attempting to fix it (Round 2), I recently gutted most of the components except for the components behind the firewall and the new compressor I bought last summer.

I had the whole system evacuated and recharged ready to go and no ac, Was told by a local mechanic that it was the computer on the jeep that was causing the problem. Not sure how trustworthy that opinion was now that I am rethinking it.

Currently going try again and replace everything, I have the accumulator, condenser, and hi pressure switch in my cart on amazon, but need the hoses.

Anyways My question is where can i purchase decent hoses for the system. I need all four. So far I found these...

Amazon Amazon
Amazon.com: Four Seasons 56830 Hose Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Four Seasons 56830 Hose Assembly: Automotive

Any suggestions? also Any comments on other parts I might need or places to check.

I also have access to gauges and a vacuum now.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Default ac hoses

if not already gotten, i recommend partsgeek.com, best prices anywhere on hoses.

just be careful to examine the picture of their part compared to ensure same same. i recently ordered for my 99 xj 4.0L 6 cyl compressor hose assembly and received hoses for 2.5L 4 cyl. had i looked examined their pictures closely i'd have seen parts geek listing was incorrect. have since straighened out but cost several weeks w/o ac to redo the order.

attached pics reason for hose failure. serpentine belt rubbed and cut hole in hi pressure hose to condenser.

Attached Thumbnails A/C Hose(s) Question-dscf0288.jpg   A/C Hose(s) Question-dscf0287.jpg  
Old 08-10-2014, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

http://jeepair.com/
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I am in the process of putting the AC back in my 96 as well. I bought hose 56831 at AutoZone for $32.99, cheapest I could find. Hose 56830 is cheaper on Amazon (free shipping too).

When I bought my XJ, the compressor was shot so I replaced it with the dummy pulley. I removed the condenser because it had a hole in it. And I tossed all the lines and receiver drier due to the rust and crap in the condenser. Now, 3 years later, I am finally putting the AC back.

Since I am in need of everything, can you post a picture of your engine compartment? I have a new compressor, hose 56831 and expansion valve 758880. Need the other hoses and receiver drier. I just have no idea how the lines were ran since it has been so long, and I can't find a picture online.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I try to buy local mostly AutoZone to make sure that I have the correct parts in my hand and usually cost is very close to online.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM

Default a/c pictures

pics with focus on a/c hoses

bought compressor from auto zone, their price as good as online with better warranty

bought compressor hose assembly and liquid line (pre-assembled with orifice) from auto geek online. much better price that auto zone. although auto geek online listing for comp hose assembly for my 99 xj 4.0 L 6 cyl was incorrect. they first sent me hose assembly for a 2.5L 4 cyl, which fairly close and i tried to make work but couldn't. went back to auto geek online, studied their picture and compared to my original part, turns out the part they have listed for the 2.5L 4 cyl is the one which fits my 4.0L 6 cyl. so if you order from them just check the picture to ensure looks like your part. they did get the liquid line correct though. geeks comp hose assembly was $48 including shipping and auto zones was about $120, similar difference in liquid line price too.

all installed now and working fineA/C Hose(s) Question-dscf0439.jpg

A/C Hose(s) Question-dscf0440.jpg.
Attached Thumbnails A/C Hose(s) Question-dscf0444.jpg   A/C Hose(s) Question-dscf0446.jpg   A/C Hose(s) Question-dscf0448.jpg