Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C compressor oil qty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default A/C compressor oil qty?

Hey guys replacing the compressor and drier in my 96 xj. Anyone know the oil quantity I need to add to the compressor? I heard I add an additional 1oz because I'm replacing the drier? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jason
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM

4.6oz of oil and 2lb for refrigerant
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Year: 1999

The total system oil capacity is 7.8 ounces.

Get a clean measuring cup. Remove the manifold plugs for high and low pressure lines. Turn the compressor upside down and drain the fresh oil into the clean measuring cup. Turn the clutch slowly a few revolutions to pump out as much oil as possible.

Check the reading on the cup and add oil as necessary. Once you the proper amount of oil, pour it back in the compressor and turn the clutch again slowly a few revolutions to pump the oil through the compressor. PAG oil should be SP-20 PAG or equiv.

I've seen guys fill the system capacity through the compressor, but I have also seen some fill the compressor 1.5 ounces to 2 ounces below the system capacity (In this case 5.8 ounces) and then add the rest to the drier, condenser, or both depending on the vehicle and if its possible.

Maybe someone will a little more AC knowledge for the XJ's will chime. I personally have not had to do any AC work on my XJ's. Usually was serviced or work completed before I bought them.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by XJ Sam
The total system oil capacity is 7.8 ounces.

Get a clean measuring cup. Remove the manifold plugs for high and low pressure lines. Turn the compressor upside down and drain the fresh oil into the clean measuring cup. Turn the clutch slowly a few revolutions to pump out as much oil as possible.

Check the reading on the cup and add oil as necessary. Once you the proper amount of oil, pour it back in the compressor and turn the clutch again slowly a few revolutions to pump the oil through the compressor. PAG oil should be SP-20 PAG or equiv.

I've seen guys fill the system capacity through the compressor, but I have also seen some fill the compressor 1.5 ounces to 2 ounces below the system capacity (In this case 5.8 ounces) and then add the rest to the drier, condenser, or both depending on the vehicle and if its possible.

Maybe someone will a little more AC knowledge for the XJ's will chime. I personally have not had to do any AC work on my XJ's. Usually was serviced or work completed before I bought them.
system cap is diferent from year to year... for 96 the total that should be added when replacing a comrpessor is 4.6oz and 2lbs of refrigerant.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by BKohs
system cap is diferent from year to year
Good info to know. All I could find at first was the system cap and the 2lbs of R134a.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Year: 1996

Great thanks! And that's PAG100 oil right? So 4.6oz because I'm replacing the compressor and an additional 1.0oz because I'm replacing the drier? So total 5.6oz for this particular job?

Thanks, Jason

Last edited by Borneo Batman; 06-25-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:12 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

95-96 xj’s are supposed to have 7.75oz of pag oil 100 and 2lb of refrigerant