Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C Compressor baloney

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A/C Compressor baloney

So since I got Black Bertram going, the A/C hasn't blown cold air, but the compressor clutch itself would engage for a few seconds at a time.

Stupidly, I didn't bother hooking up a pressure gauge to check it. Finding a recharge canister in the rubbermaid bin that came with the Jeep, I assumed it was low. Thought, well, I should get a gauge before I fill it so I know what pressure rating it should be / so i don't go over.

Cut to today, I, again, stupidly, bought a whole canister of recharge with a gauge instead of just the gauge. I run the jeep, run the a/c at max, pop the line with the gauge on the low pressure side, and it does the same thing, but I notice the pressure builds up to the edge of the green and then it dies off-- this coincides with the clutch engaging (pressure builds) and disengaging (pressure drops). So I turn it off and hook up the gauge again. this time I get a reading somewhere in the yellow... maybe in the red, but all I remember is it was too high and then... there was a "leak" *ahem* that got the pressure back into the green zone. steady at ~50 psi (~90* F ambient temp).

So I start it up again to see. Now the clutch doesn't engage at all, even though the pressure is nominal.

My assumption is the PO overcharged it, to what extent I don't know for sure, other than what I wrote above.

Since the clutch was engaging for a few (5-10) seconds at a time before, I'm assuming it's not the shim removal/weak magnet situation. But now I'm wondering how to proceed next.

Do I call someone to come and evac the system and start over? I have compressor oil and new r134a.

Is there a sure-fire test for whether the compressor is completely shot? I have a spare from the parts Jeep.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Get a gauge set:
Amazon Amazon

so you can see low and high side pressure. The pressures will vary based on ambient temperature: http://rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

If the system was not completely open to the atmosphere then you should be ok reading pressures and filling through the low side. But, if somone tried to fill the system without vacuuming it correctly, then it will never work since there is moisture in the system.

I have redone two XJ AC systems with minimal equipment.

If you have a decent compressor, you can use this to vacuum the system: https://www.harborfreight.com/air-va...ors-96677.html

If you don't have a compressor, you can use something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm...ump-98076.html

Hook up the gauge set, pull a vacuum to -30 hg and make sure it holds the vacuum to ensure there are no leaks. This will remove all moisture from the system by lowering the boiling point of water. Once you verify there are no leaks, then you can proceed to put in the correct amount of r134a: http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refri...apacities/jeep

Then fine tune with the ac gauge set. Periodically use the gauge set to make sure everything is healthy.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

If you have an oriellys near you, they have a vacuum pump in their loan a tool program. Pull the system down and try again.

If the quick on/off and spiking pressure cycling continues, you still have air in the system. This gets frustrating because pulling it down again means wasting the freon you just put in.

Cheap n dirty trick to fixing this;

Use the guage hose hooked to the low side, but disconnected from the gauges. Open the valve slowly, let the air bleed off till fluid starts coming out. Close it, let it sit a few minutes. Repeat. Keep doing this till you dont get air.

Hook the guages back up, start the engine and AC, check your pressure. Add freon if needed. If you still get high spikes, do it again. But usually one round is enough. You're looking for about 35psi on the low side guage.

Ive done this on a lot of rides with great success, including my current 95.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies, gents.

A buddy of mine has most of that stuff, it's just time to go in and use it when he's free and not working on a project.

I guess the worrywart inside me is more concerned about what to do with the refrigerant that's in it-- I got nosey neighbors and don't want a fine slapped on me for another "leak"

Would a home HVAC service come and evac the stuff I have in the system currently?

EDIT
I actually didn't put any new freon in. The one I got (that has oil mixed into it) feels mostly full, and I've got a full tank of pure 134a that I bought at AutoZone yesteday.

Last edited by jessenator; 06-24-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: clarity