Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"
Default A/C Compressor

My compressor gave out with a big bang....literally! So, I went to autozone to order one. When i go to install this compressor it doesn't fit because the screw holes for mounting bracket don't line up with the holes on the compressor.
I take it back to autozone and they tell me that I have a r12 compressor and they don't sell those anymore. He tells me that they have conversion kits that would come with the bracket in the kit. Do they have conversion kits that come with the mounting bracket for the A/C compressor? or is this guy on crack? I can't find squat online about this so called bracket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l

I think he may be on crack, I've never heard of it and like my name says I'm a parts guy and I've looked into replacing my while ac system and never saw a bracket for it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

I'm a manager for AZ and this is a new one on me also. The correct parts numbers for the three compressors available through us are as follows for a '92 XJ. They have to be ordered VDP, vendor direct, but we can get them unless one of the stores or a hub warehouse just happens to have one on the shelf possibly from a cancelled order. Our VDP parts have to be pre-paid and usually arrive at the store in about three business days. No shipping charges are ever added to the customer.

Compressor Works, #618632
Everco, #57632
UAC, #CO7701C

The most common one we sell over the counter is from Compressor Works. I haven't had one come back defective yet.

For a 1992, it is likely that it is an R-12 system as the change to R-134A didn't happen industry wide until 1996. Just FYI, the parts numbers for my 1998 are different (CW #618550), so if you were sold any other model, you were sold the wrong part. Now, it is entirely possible that there is some sort of bracket out there to install a 134A compressor on your XJ, but I'll have to look into this one as I don't see a listing for one readily evident and I've never heard of one. Occasionally, I get surprised.

If anyone at your store tells you differently, tell them that this info came from a manager from Pennsylvania and is entirely correct. The parts numbers came from autozone.com and are the same as we have on our in store computers. Then, I'd want to talk to their district manager. I have no tolerance for giving bad info to our customers and neither does the company.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 07-23-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"

Thanks for the replies. Really helpful!
Would a same year vehicle have 2 different brackets? Its hard to believe that there would be 2 different brackets for the same model year I have. If they make a compressor then they would make it to fit that particular model and year. I am going to the junkyard tomorrow to measure some brackets.