Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

BZZZZZZZZ noise from engine (?) Any Guess?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Question BZZZZZZZZ noise from engine (?) Any Guess?

Hi guys,
When engine runs, I have rather loud buzzzzz like noise, It is kind of hard to pinpoint the exact location with all the other sounds around. Please see the attached picture. There the "red zone" (no specific pin-spot, but the "zone") is the area where it seems to be the loudest, it on drivers side, uppper-front area.
The sounds is sort of like are buzz or , say, high frequency "ticking", which creats buzz like noise. The loudness id pretty constant, it does not get any louder nor it fades out. When the hood is closed I still can hear it, also not so loud, so you may even not notice it that way, but when I open the hood, you can't "miss" it
Also, while I am driving, I can't hear it from inside the cab..

I know it's hard to guess, but maybe it's something that somebody have experienced in the past. Maybe any idea what should I try to look at or somehow check if it's DIY-able, of course.
The jeep is '96 sport, 4x4, auto, I6 4.0, 205K. The jeep runs fine overall. I've done a lot of work on it already, many new "small" parts, new radiator, just changed oil/filter, I also had the rocker cover off and cleaned it, generally "inspected" the arms condition, and the breathers are clean and good.
thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 PM

Guys, do you know, can power steering pump make buzzy noise? If it does, would this mean it needs attention or just let it noise away as long as it pumps?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

If it's the power steering pump it may just be low on fluid. If you turn the wheels and it makes a whining or groaning sound or gets louder its more than likely the p/s pump.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yeah, see if you can make it louder/isolate it by testing individual systems, like revving the engine, turning the steering wheel, putting a load on the electrical system, pressing your brakes, etc. Last time I had a buzzing noise in that area it was an overlapping part of my exhaust gasket that vibrated every time I revved the engine . My 2¢. Nice work with the picture.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Guys, thanks a bunch for your input. I've figured it IS steering pump.
With the hood open, I stuck my head out of the window as much as could ... so when I was steering the noise was getting somewhat louder and was getting tonal compunent (sort of), whining - would be the word to describe it, I guess. Not screaming-loud, but it is there.
My 100 bucks question now is: MUST I replace the pump NOW, or can I put it on the secondary priority things to do list.???
I've just got front brakes parts, spent my "spare cash" for that ), gotta do that one when ever I get a chance. There are some other stuff that need attention.
After I fixed the parts that were actually "broken/dead" ...things got more complicated decision wise
Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5 liter

Originally Posted by Dr ZEE
Guys, thanks a bunch for your input. I've figured it IS steering pump.
With the hood open, I stuck my head out of the window as much as could ... so when I was steering the noise was getting somewhat louder and was getting tonal compunent (sort of), whining - would be the word to describe it, I guess. Not screaming-loud, but it is there.
My 100 bucks question now is: MUST I replace the pump NOW, or can I put it on the secondary priority things to do list.???
I've just got front brakes parts, spent my "spare cash" for that ), gotta do that one when ever I get a chance. There are some other stuff that need attention.
After I fixed the parts that were actually "broken/dead" ...things got more complicated decision wise
i let mine whine and groan/buzz....i no longer have powersteering

p.s it only whined for like 3 days, before 'kaput'

Last edited by 85on32+4; 11-12-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added facts
Old 11-13-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by 85on32+4
i let mine whine and groan/buzz....i no longer have powersteering

p.s it only whined for like 3 days, before 'kaput'
ouch... hmmmmmmmm. thanks for that, man , now now I worry more and I have a feeling that next time I start my jeep the noise will seem to me to be much much louder ...heh heh
I guess, I better put my acts together and sqeeze another hundred bucks somehow soon...

Now, guys, would you please share a thought. I kind of need a second-head opinion, here.
So I've checked with NAPA (I prefer napa for the most but sometimes I "compromise" ).... so at NAPA the remanufactured pump with reservoir - $77.99/Core-$55.60
I checked with Advanced Autoparts and they've got Cardone brand (is it good or crap????) pump with reservoir for $72.99 ...

Now, here's the thing... to remove the pulley I'd need the tool, which I may never use again, and it's around 20 bucks or so.
The new Pulley is around $15....

So, what I am getting into here is this: would it be wise to get Pump and new pulley from Advanced, and then all I will need is to place new pulley on the new pump , and there I can use a poor-man "long bolt/washer/nut" mounting method.
Or am I missing something here ... Any thought/advice will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Dr ZEE; 11-13-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 952door4x4
If it's the power steering pump it may just be low on fluid. ....
Uh, sorry, I forgot to mention. When I open the reservoir cap first time to check it was overfilled - up to the top! grrrrrrr, so I actually sucked out some fluid to get it to Cold level, then warmed up and drove the machine and checked it, so the level is up to "HOT"-line.
I wonder here, how bad is it to have the PS fluid overfilled? Does it matter? I have not find overfill mentioning in Haynes Manual. Or is it even a problem if PS fluid is over the line in the reservoir?

Last edited by Dr ZEE; 11-13-2009 at 12:24 AM.