Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bushings for front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bushings for front end

This is my first Jeep so I figured I would ask those more knowledgable than me. My 97 sport is stock and it drives and handles fine. No noticable issues there. It does need an alignment. My question is about noise from the front end. If I drive this thing across a field or even a bumpy road, every bump sounds and feels like pure metal to metal in the front suspension. Others can hear it from a short distance away as well. This is pretty much any bump even at very slow speed. I assume I need some bushings somewhere. I have checked under it several times but cant find anything loose.
Where would you suggest I start? The truck has 164K miles on it so should I just buy a kit and replace everything? Would an alignment find which bushings are bad? Where would you suggest I shop for the bushings if I were to replace them?
My intention is to lift this ole thing in the fall so Im guessing that would take care of it as well but Im almost afraid to drive it too much without replacing something before I do some major damage.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Trackbar? With the Jeep off, have someone shake the steering wheel back and forth and see if anything is moving in the front end, also, give a visual inspection on the rubber. Depending on how large/strong your assistant is, you could have them try to rock the Jeep back and forth to replicate the sound.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Havent tried the sterring wheel trick but I have grabbed all four corners and rocked and shook and pulled and tugged and I cant get any noise at all out of it. I'm 250Lbs and my assistant is 300+ so believe me we have rocked it quite a bit.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Could be the wheel bearings. Theyre located in the hub assembly. Unfortunately youd have to get a all new hub assembly. I cant see it being more the $100 with the core charge.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

It's not a wheel bearing. It's something hitting against another object. That's why I think it's a bushing. Was hoping someone could tell me which ones (if any)seem to wear the most. I know a lot of people talk about the track bar. How would be the best way to check those bushings? Long pry bar?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

sway bar /disconnect bushings
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by gpeade
This is my first Jeep so I figured I would ask those more knowledgable than me. My 97 sport is stock and it drives and handles fine. No noticable issues there. It does need an alignment. My question is about noise from the front end. If I drive this thing across a field or even a bumpy road, every bump sounds and feels like pure metal to metal in the front suspension. Others can hear it from a short distance away as well. This is pretty much any bump even at very slow speed. I assume I need some bushings somewhere. I have checked under it several times but cant find anything loose.
Where would you suggest I start? The truck has 164K miles on it so should I just buy a kit and replace everything? Would an alignment find which bushings are bad? Where would you suggest I shop for the bushings if I were to replace them?
My intention is to lift this ole thing in the fall so Im guessing that would take care of it as well but Im almost afraid to drive it too much without replacing something before I do some major damage.
drives and handles fine sway bar suspect or the bushing the brake caliper mounting bolts go thru