Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bushings

I'm looking at replacing the bushings on my sway bars and control arms. My question is should I just by the replacement control arms or attempt to replace the bushings myself. Special tools needed? Also I noticed there are several different sizes available for the sway bars.. does anybody know what size Front & Rear I'd have... My XJ is a 98'
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

what? ok, ur front is a D30, ur rear is either a C8.25, or D35. is it stock or lifted? more info needed!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
what? ok, ur front is a D30, ur rear is either a C8.25, or D35. is it stock or lifted? more info needed!
I'm talking about the stabilizer bar bushings on the hangers that hold the bar to the frame.. I can see daylight between the bushing and the bar. My XJ is all stock.. Thanks!

This is where I was looking for replacements...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...ank|Asc&page=2
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

For your sway bar, just bring out a ruler and measure it! And you can definitely do the control arm bushings yourself. A torch would make the job a lot easier for those stubborn bushings that don't wanna budge
Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
For your sway bar, just bring out a ruler and measure it! And you can definitely do the control arm bushings yourself. A torch would make the job a lot easier for those stubborn bushings that don't wanna budge
Ok cool what about leaf spring bushings have any of you done those? Will 200k on the rig just about everything needs to be replaced.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I've never done em but I hear the bolts can be a real PITA!! That'll be tougher to do than the control arms
Old 12-09-2011, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lostbuckaroo
I'm looking at replacing the bushings on my sway bars and control arms. My question is should I just by the replacement control arms or attempt to replace the bushings myself. Special tools needed? Also I noticed there are several different sizes available for the sway bars.. does anybody know what size Front & Rear I'd have... My XJ is a 98'
That's b/c they produced a few different size sway bars. I seem to recall getting 1" diameter ones for my 97. If you look Energy Suspension will carry just the holders; and they're cheap too. I bought the grease-able ones. Wrap a small string around it and measure the circumference - deduce the diameter from that.

As for the lower control arms, you're in for some work, They will need to be pressed out and can be quite stubborn to remove as that arm is difficult to fixture. I would almost recommend you pick one up from a junk yard and practice on that one before tackling the job. I bet they'll almost give it to you.

If you don't have a press I'd suggest you drill the bushing out (use the largest bit that fits between the inner and outer barrel then go around until the center falls out. Then take a hack saw and cut into the outer ring so that the tension from pressing it in is released.

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
its a 98... you don't need to know anything more than that for his questions.

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ

Don't torch those. It's mess, bad for the environment and takes FOR EVER. do what I was saying with the drill. I've done this a lot on cars with rubber mounted subframes. I promise you, when we switch to solid mounting, its the same thing.

Last edited by s14unimog; 12-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.