Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bumpstops, bumpstops, bumpstops.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default Bumpstops, bumpstops, bumpstops.

OK, ive went without bumpstops for a while (all but 2 have rotted off and the rear wouldnt work anyways with the blocks. Since I've finally got back into the mood of working on my jeep again I think its time to put some bumpstops in. See the complication is that Im gonna need some extended bumpstops and will have to adjust them to the right length to go with my 3 inch lift, 31x10.5's, and mickey thompsons with 3 1/2 backspacing and a -13 offset (yes they do stick out about 2 or more inches from the flares). I'm gonna need to bumpstop them so the tires stop right before they touch the flares, they will not stuff.

This is what I have that may help me, a heister (forklift) with adjustable forks (spread them out, pull them together). I have two 3 1/2 ton big jacks and some car ramps (you drive up them, the can only bring it up like 6 inches or so).

NOW to my real question, what do you guys use as bumpstops and how do you have to take out the front coils to put the front ones in? If so, she's probably gonna just stay how she is.

WOW just noticed how formal and robotee that sounds, Sorry im kinda in a rare form today so if you dont understand what im askin just say so lol.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
This is what I have that may help me, a heister (forklift) with adjustable forks (spread them out, pull them together). I have two 3 1/2 ton big jacks and some car ramps (you drive up them, the can only bring it up like 6 inches or so).
You need a jack and jackstands, not a forklift. It just isn't safe, you are going to be pulling and pushing on the front end and it can slip off. The ramps wont be much good because your Jeep will still be on the suspension.

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
NOW to my real question, what do you guys use as bumpstops and how do you have to take out the front coils to put the front ones in? If so, she's probably gonna just stay how she is.
You will have to pull front springs, pull the rubber bump out of the stop and install the new one. For the rear just get some longer bolts and a piece of box steel and drill holes in it and reinstall.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 L

On the front I used Some stacked hockey pucks,I jacked up the Jeep with the unibody that lets the front springs droop a bit then I slid the pucks between the coils 1 at a time,they rest on the coil bucket on the axle end.Then I siliconed them together, might bolt them together but their holding up fine like they are.This pic is with 2 pucks when I was at 3'' of lift
Attached Thumbnails Bumpstops, bumpstops, bumpstops.-pucks.jpg  

Last edited by Skunkape; 10-17-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

thanks, just wish they had hockey pucks around here. Have actually never seen a hockey puck before lol, last year was the first time its snowed in like 5 years

Last edited by xj_maniac_newb; 10-17-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by POSJ
You need a jack and jackstands, not a forklift. It just isn't safe, you are going to be pulling and pushing on the front end and it can slip off. The ramps wont be much good because your Jeep will still be on the suspension.
Wasnt gonna put it on the body, just put the tire inbetween the two forks to see where its maxed out
Old 10-17-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L I6 (Ford 4.2L Injector Upgrade and Yellow Top Optima))

Leaf spring bushing (what i had lying around)

3" x 1" box steel (what i had lying around)