Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

drive line vibes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors
Default drive line vibes

hhey guys..
whats the worst that can happen with drive line vibes.. i have a 96 with a 6" lift and 1" tc drop with a 4 degree shim from previous lift.. i recently went up from 4.5" to 6" with a lift shackle and it gave me drive vibes.. i know an sye is the way to go but its turning into winter up here and getting colder.. can anything bad happen because of the vibes? broken driveshaft, tcase mounts, tranny mounts.. ? anything at all. i dont have a garage to do an sye or change my axle degree in. and this is my dd/ww i dont do much heavy wheeling or long drives.. mostly within a 50 mile range..
Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

funny i rand 7.5 with tc drop for 5 years no vibes got pics of the rear
Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You can wear out the the u-joints in no time, same goes for the output shaft bearing in the t-case.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by FrankZ
You can wear out the the u-joints in no time, same goes for the output shaft bearing in the t-case.
yyay.. what degree shim can i use with a 4.5 inch lift pack 2 inch shakle and a 1" tc drop.. i have a 4 degree shim with 6 inch lift.. can anyone figure this out for me please?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There's no perfect answer., but this might help.

You're going to have to try a few different shims to get the correct angle. Your best option is to ditch the T/C drop and install an SYE.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L I6 (Ford 4.2L Injector Upgrade and Yellow Top Optima))

"For a three inch lift, I found about 8 degrees of shim was needed. This Jeep was fitted with two degree blocks so adding six degrees of angle to the spring pack brought it into alignment.

To calculate the shims needed, you will have to use trigonometry. However it is not too bad using this simple method.

With the transfer case and axle in place, I mounted the drive shaft. The misalignment was immediately evident. I placed a straight edge along the bottom of the pinion and parallel to the pinion shaft. I then measured the distance from the drive shaft center to the top of the straight edge. In my case, I measured to a point 30 inches up the shaft and found it need to be raised three inches to make it line up.

Now divide the distance it is off by the distance up the shaft. In my case it was 3 divided by 30 or 0.1.

To convert this number to the angle, you need to take the arctangent of the number. This is easily done on a scientific calculator or even easier to do using Google. In my case I typed arctan(3/30) in degrees into the Google search line. Google returns this result: arctan(3 / 30) = 5.71059314 degrees. Round it to the nearest degree and try that shim. In my case a six degree shim was really close and worked fine."

http://mikestrawbridge.com/blog/2010...jeep-cherokee/

Literally googled "lift kit rear axle shim angle"
Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by gspaceunit
"For a three inch lift, I found about 8 degrees of shim was needed. This Jeep was fitted with two degree blocks so adding six degrees of angle to the spring pack brought it into alignment.

To calculate the shims needed, you will have to use trigonometry. However it is not too bad using this simple method.

With the transfer case and axle in place, I mounted the drive shaft. The misalignment was immediately evident. I placed a straight edge along the bottom of the pinion and parallel to the pinion shaft. I then measured the distance from the drive shaft center to the top of the straight edge. In my case, I measured to a point 30 inches up the shaft and found it need to be raised three inches to make it line up.

Now divide the distance it is off by the distance up the shaft. In my case it was 3 divided by 30 or 0.1.

To convert this number to the angle, you need to take the arctangent of the number. This is easily done on a scientific calculator or even easier to do using Google. In my case I typed arctan(3/30) in degrees into the Google search line. Google returns this result: arctan(3 / 30) = 5.71059314 degrees. Round it to the nearest degree and try that shim. In my case a six degree shim was really close and worked fine."

http://mikestrawbridge.com/blog/2010...jeep-cherokee/

Literally googled "lift kit rear axle shim angle"

thanks alot man.. that helps alot. i shall get the order out before it gets to cold to fix it.